Drolet Myriad II: Do I have all my firebricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thisoldgoat

Burning Hunk
Dec 26, 2017
Rice County MN
I wonder if I have all of the firebricks. It has full coverage on the bottom and one row oriented vertically on each side and on the back. The parts diagram/list indicates that there should be two more on each side and two on the back, placed horizontally with the aid of retainers (4), referred to as the "top bricks". The instructions tell me that these six bricks should be found lying on the bottom inside the stove for transport purposes but neither they nor the retainers are there.

I went back to the store, they looked around, did not find anything and said there is nothing more they can do, that I should contact the manufacturer. I thought I would ask the smart people here before I do that as I'm anxious to get this thing up and running.

Is it possible that the manufacturer made changes that are not reflected in the manual?

I should add that this was a clearance/floor model; that is why I am suspicious that these parts may have gotten separated from their mother.

Drolet (SBI) is great to work with. Give them a call and I am sure they will sort it out for you.

The dealer should get those bricks for you, sure you can call SBI but they sold you the stove.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I wonder if I have all of the firebricks. It has full coverage on the bottom and one row oriented vertically on each side and on the back. The parts diagram/list indicates that there should be two more on each side and two on the back, placed horizontally with the aid of retainers (4), referred to as the "top bricks". The instructions tell me that these six bricks should be found lying on the bottom inside the stove for transport purposes but neither they nor the retainers are there.

I went back to the store, they looked around, did not find anything and said there is nothing more they can do, that I should contact the manufacturer. I thought I would ask the smart people here before I do that as I'm anxious to get this thing up and running.

Is it possible that the manufacturer made changes that are not reflected in the manual?

I should add that this was a clearance/floor model; that is why I am suspicious that these parts may have gotten separated from their mother.

You are correct. There should be. Contact Drolet via either facebook page, phone number from their website or email. They are amazing in customer service.

Myriad and ledgend are pretty much the same specs, but when I went on the Drolet website, I couldn't find your stoves parts lists. However, Baltic is: https://www.drolet.ca/en/parts/search/?productId=DB03041 and I believe the brick sizes should be the same. I would measure for you, however I have a stove full of wood.

Just saying, if you don't hear from Drolet and just want to run over to a store that might have bricks, these are the sizes you would need.

I think I may have found the problem: Nowhere on this stove does it say that this model is a II. The UL sticker on the back merely states the model as "Myriad". The manufacturing date is Jan. 2013. Perhaps this is the predecessor to the II? Was there a Myriad I? If so, I did not have any luck finding an exploded diagram of it.

I think I may have found the problem: Nowhere on this stove does it say that this model is a II. The UL sticker on the back merely states the model as "Myriad". The manufacturing date is Jan. 2013. Perhaps this is the predecessor to the II? Was there a Myriad I? If so, I did not have any luck finding an exploded diagram of it.

Then that would make perfect sense, because I believe one of the differences was that the I vs the II was that it didn't have the top layer of bricks.

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to my questions.

I returned to the store today to whine to the department manager and came home with an additional discount of $300. I'm thankful I don't have to drag that thing back out of the basement to return it.

I think I would have preferred the Myriad II but I got the Myriad I for under $400 out the door; I'm not complaining.

Again, thanks for the comments!

Here is the brick layout for the Myriad I.
Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 12.09.17 AM.png

Thanks begreen, yes, they are all present and accounted for.

Would it be worth the effort to add another tier of bricks on the back and sides if I could figure out a way to support them?

It wouldn't be worth the effort for me.

Reactions: thisoldgoat
What was SBI's reasoning for adding the second tier of bricks to the Myriad II? Keeping heat in for more efficiency? Was there a cracking issue or something like that? Just curious as I just purchased a Myriad II...

There could be a myriad number of reasons :cool: . You may be right. It could be to reduce emissions by keeping the firebox hotter. I haven't heard of cracking issues with this stove. They may have also done it to share the design with other SBI stoves.

Last edited:
@thisoldgoat, let us know how the stove performs when you get it in. I am curious as I wont be able to enjoy mine until next fall.

Besides the bricks the original Myriad had a welded in stainless baffle. The Myriad II has replaceable c-cast baffles.
@thisoldgoat, let us know how the stove performs when you get it in. I am curious as I wont be able to enjoy mine until next fall.
The Myriad II is the same inside as the Baltic II, LegendII and Austral II, but without the side shielding. Magdalena got a Legend II last November.

Reactions: Gearhead660
I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to my questions.

I returned to the store today to whine to the department manager and came home with an additional discount of $300. I'm thankful I don't have to drag that thing back out of the basement to return it.

I think I would have preferred the Myriad II but I got the Myriad I for under $400 out the door; I'm not complaining.

Again, thanks for the comments!
Wow, what a great deal. I'd quickly forget about the II for a cool $300, particularly for a stove that was only $700 to start. It'll burn your wood just fine.

And, I second everyone who likes SBI's service.

Reactions: thisoldgoat
Gearhead660 said: "Let us know how the stove performs when you get it in. I am curious as I wont be able to enjoy mine until next fall. "

OK, I will; thanks for the invite!

I've used it for about 3 weeks and overall I am quite pleased with it.

Keep 2 things in mind: 1) I'm comparing this stove to my old 118 which it replaced and, 2) I'm burning the highly prized hybrid poplar as I have tons of it processed and I want to use it up before I begin burning the better stuff.

I'm impressed at it's coal holding capability. I'm squeamish about loading up, then going to bed, so the last load is already burning down when I turn in. Even so, a good bed of coals always awaits me in the morning. One time I was unable to stoke first thing in the A.M. and it got to be 11 hours... there were still plenty of embers to allow an easy restart. This wood seems to produce lots of ash, perhaps that insulates the coal bed.

I'm loading every 4 to 5 hours; certainly I will be able to go longer when I begin burning denser fuel.

I like that I can see what the fire is doing without having to open the door for a peek. The large loading door is welcome as well, that was a complaint with the 118.

I have it on the lower (basement) level of a split foyer, 1400 sq. ft. per level. The floor is bare concrete, the foundation is 2 x 6 treated wood, insulated. It puts out good heat but takes a bit of time for the upper level to catch up. By the same token, once everything is heated up, the temps throughout the house drop ever so slowly after no meaningful heat is being dispensed by the stove. The basement and the stuff that's in it serves as a somewhat effective thermal mass. A toilet tissue streamer in the stairwell tells me that warm air is noticeably flowing up; if I get down to floor level I can feel a cool breeze returning.

I don't like the push/pull lever arrangement for controlling the intake air: I found the wheel style regulator on the old Jotul more to my liking, it seemed easier to fine tune.

I'm not a fan of the little bitty ash trap door that is recessed between the bricks; shoveling it out works just fine, however.

Splits up to 20" will fit but then I deal with ash deposits against the door. 18s work much better.

Would I buy it again? Indeed I would!

By the way, Menards has lowered their clearance price on the Myriad II this week. Remaining stock can be had for $534 after sale price and rebate.

I know that this is an old thread, but I have a Myriad I. I did mod it by adding a second row of bricks all around and even added a section of ceramic insulating wool on top of that - all the way up to the baffle plate. I would highly recommend this as it insulates the entire firebox and allows it to get to and maintain temperatures very well. I get exceptionally clean and efficient burns with this modification. You can get a box of 6 firebrick - which is enough to do the second row at Menards (original poster from MN) for less than $20. You will need to cut the rear two bricks slightly. I got my ceramic insulation 1" thick on ebay for pretty cheap. This also reduces the extreme temperatures of the stove side. Heating and heat transfer is still excellent. It's clear that this improves the stove efficiency and clean burning, because they did make this change in subsequent Myriad and the like models - not sure why they didn't do this on the initial version.

I know that this is an old thread, but I have a Myriad I. I did mod it by adding a second row of bricks all around and even added a section of ceramic insulating wool on top of that - all the way up to the baffle plate. I would highly recommend this as it insulates the entire firebox and allows it to get to and maintain temperatures very well. I get exceptionally clean and efficient burns with this modification. You can get a box of 6 firebrick - which is enough to do the second row at Menards (original poster from MN) for less than $20. You will need to cut the rear two bricks slightly. I got my ceramic insulation 1" thick on ebay for pretty cheap. This also reduces the extreme temperatures of the stove side. Heating and heat transfer is still excellent. It's clear that this improves the stove efficiency and clean burning, because they did make this change in subsequent Myriad and the like models - not sure why they didn't do this on the initial version.
I did exactly as you did (stocked up on Menards bricks when they were on sale) and yes, the extra row does make a performance difference. I have not, however, added any ceramic wool.