Drying my ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kd460

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Feb 5, 2006
Yes, I said ASH.

Got about a full cord of ash that was cut about 2 months ago. I have split the big and medium stuff. It is stacked outside against the garage, so not alot of air flow (part of the reason I hurried up and split it). It did have a few checks in the end cuts when I split it (it sat about a month before splitting).

It seems pretty dry. I watch the ends for moisture as I'm burning it and there is none. Can't hear any hiss or sizzling when I open the door to listen either.

It seems to burn OK, I mix some in with my seasoned stuff, but does burn slower than the wood I split last year.

Anybody have experience with ash and it's drying times? From what I understand, it has a very low moisture content when alive, so I am trying to get an idea of dry times.

This is wood that has fallen victim to the mighty emerald ash borer beatle. The larvae eats the portion of the tree that carries moisture and nutrients, so the "circulation" of the trees ws severely comprimised. The trees were not dead when cut, but dying. Had about 25% of it's normal leaf content this past summer. What a shame to lose these trees. Thanks, KD

Ash does not require allot of seasoning like Oak ect. As you said It has one of the lowest moister content when green, I know of people that have burn the stuff green all winter, and I have burned some green myself in a pinch.

There is a "Johny Apleseed" style project going on in the U.S. to save the Ash tree. THe thought is to let the beetles kill them all then then hopefully the beetle will die off, then ash seeds will be planted in the trees old stomping grounds.
Back on topic, when I had a fireplace (insert in there now) I was an ash snob. Ash will burn with sastifactory results on the same day you cut it down. Ash basically requires no seasoning.

sedanman said:
There is a "Johny Apleseed" style project going on in the U.S. to save the Ash tree. THe thought is to let the beetles kill them all then then hopefully the beetle will die off, then ash seeds will be planted in the trees old stomping grounds.
Back on topic, when I had a fireplace (insert in there now) I was an ash snob. Ash will burn with sastifactory results on the same day you cut it down. Ash basically requires no seasoning.

When all that ash dies...I'll volunteer to cut split and burn all of it. Ash is great fire wood. My favorite to get hold of. Monster rounds can be split with an axe, it seasons fast, and it burns great. If elm is natures cruel joke, ash is natures gift to wood burning.

Well, that is good to hear! It confirms the story I was told about the farmers always having plenty of ash trees growing along the fence line in case thay ran short of heating wood for the winter, they could just go cut down an ash or two and be good to go.

I have 8 ash trees on my property and my neighbor had 8 as well. His 8 are whats cut and split along the side of the garage. My 8 trees are next. I have done everything I can to save these trees. With the $$ I spent, I could have bought a nice log splitter! While they are not dead, they are getting there. I might leave one or two and continue treating them to see what happens, but the cost of treating 8 of them is too much. Kind of hard to get them "healthy again" when people in the area continue to bring in contaminated firewood (like my other neighbor accross the street).

Michigan has a no transport law with big fines, but it does not seem to matter to some people. Thanks again, KD

I have quite a few ash trees in my woods and it will be a shame to see them die in a few years when the EAB gets here. I hear it has gone as far east as the east suburbs of Cleveland so it will not be long. I will start cutting some of them this year. It is the very best for splitting.

Have heard the same stuff about the moisture content in ash being very low and if you had to burn something quick that would be the choice...Splitting is a charm...If you are dropping the trees keep an extra heads up with them...They can split right on the stump..

I did some looking around and found info that the Ash Borer has not been ound in NY, yet I seem to have a many of the ash trees on my property are slowly dying. They get ever more sparce leaf growth, until I finally decide they look dead enough and down they go. One tree I cut seemed to have an infestation of ants, but the others don't seem to have any visible bug infestation. Anyone in NY have any ideas? For as much as I like ash to burn, I'd like to keep the trees.

Ash falls victim to many different pests and diseases, Warren, not just the EAB. I have a big ash, probably 36" DBH in my front yard that's on its way out. It will be a shame to see it go, but there's probably three full cords in that tree, so I won't be completely bummed.

I'm in Cleveland, OH and while I haven't had any of my ash trees die off yet, I've started replanting the area with oak, hickory, and maple transplants. I've heard that the EAB has arrived, but haven't seen it yet. The ash trees on my property are small enough that they may last a while longer and when they come down, they won't likely hurt too many of the small trees I've planted. I figure they'll be as good as gone in a few years no matter what. At least they can contribute to heating the house. In the mean time I get their successors going strong.

Just a word of advice, if you value your ash trees, do your homework now. The internet has tons of info. By the time you realize your trees are infested, it is to late (like mine).

There are products available that you can use. Some are liquid you pour in the soil, some are plugs you implant in the tree. Of course you can hire a professional, but now your talking big bucks.

Starting early is the key (before infestation). Read up on it and then decide. Especially states close to Michigan where the infestation originated. I have heard it is in ohio, indiana, and I think wisconsin? The bug came in on pallets that arrived in Detroit. The rest is history.

Funny, I have one single ash that does not seem infected. Not sure if it is a different variety. My home is built on a former tree farm. KD

Status
Not open for further replies.