Ducting My Drolet ECO 65. Advice needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DV

Feeling the Heat
Feb 6, 2012
Southern MD
I am going to begin ducting my Drolet Eco65 shortly .I am doing research before I begin. I want it done correctly to avoid any dangerous issues. Just loooking for advice or ideas.

Here is the scenerio. My stove is in the corner of my basement (finished area directly under my family room). My house is a 2 level (not including basement) approximately 2600 square feet for the first and second floor total. I would like to run the duct directly up above the stove. Only one duct run and leave the second open to heat basement. This would put the register on the floor of the family room. The duct would go through a drywall ceiling in basement in between 12 inch trusses and terminate on burber carpet of the family room. My main concern is the termination into the carpet and through the basement ceiling/family room floor. I dont want to worry about the temperatures coming through the duct. The distance from the plenum to the temination will be approx 5 feet.

So any advice on materials to use would be great. I feel totally comfortable with doing the work. That doesnt concern me. I just want to be sure my installation is safe. So thanks for any advice.

Hello
Can u post a few Pics? That would help.
I ducted half of my stove to the living room and kitchen above. Used the stairwell for the cold air return and mouted a fan in the doorway to the basement. What r u using for the return air?

Sorry for the delay in the response. Here is a pic. I plan on ducting straight up. The duct would go through the ceiling to the side of the other return you see on the ceiling. I have 16 inch trusses the duct would pass through and then terminate into my living room which is carpet.

the stairwell will serve as the cold air return.

Attachments

• duct.jpg
    duct.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 437
Looks good. Question? What is the point of the plenum? It says a 15 inch minimun is required. Is this box to cool down the air before it enters the duct?
The biggest concern I have is that the duct does not get to hot going through the ceiling when it is contact with wood and carpet.

Looks good. Question? What is the point of the plenum? It says a 15 inch minimun is required. Is this box to cool down the air before it enters the duct?
The biggest concern I have is that the duct does not get to hot going through the ceiling when it is contact with wood and carpet.
I'm no expert in plenum but I imagine that it is to create a certain volume of air before it goes to the duct which also cool it down.
By using some floor boot that your duct will be connected to, your duct is not really in contact directly with the floor.
From what I have seen so far, it gets warm but not overly hot, not worst than oil furnace duct.
Cheers..

Good answer. That makes sense. To build up enough air to move before its gets to the duct .Thanks again!

Reactions: Love the Heat
Status
Not open for further replies.