Dumb moisture question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Ok I'm very new to this. I started my first year burning this year. Most of my wood is dead standing ash and a little maple that was cut and stacked a few years ago. I only burn on weekends and was scared to stack wood in the house so I took some bigger plastic totes and put some air holes in the lid to store wood in my basement. And one in the garage but I think it makes the wood wetter in the totes in stead of letting it dry more. So my question is how many people go from the wood stack to the stove ? I have to go get some splits from the stacks and test them

Ok I'm very new to this. I started my first year burning this year. Most of my wood is dead standing ash and a little maple that was cut and stacked a few years ago. I only burn on weekends and was scared to stack wood in the house so I took some bigger plastic totes and put some air holes in the lid to store wood in my basement. And one in the garage but I think it makes the wood wetter in the totes in stead of letting it dry more. So my question is how many people go from the wood stack to the stove ? I have to go get some splits from the stacks and test them
I go from stack to storage rack in house 10’ from stove until needed

You need a lot of air flow to dry wood. Trying to dry wood in a plastic containers, even with holes, doesn't work. Stack it loose is much better. I have no wood in the house. Depending on the outside temperature, I get 2-3 wheelbarrows each day to run the downstairs stove 24/7.

I go from wood stacks to leaning about 30 splits against the house (a wide soffit overhang) to the stove. Once the fire is going I often take wood right off the stacks. I keep excellent wood in reserve by the hearth and in the garage for emergencies.

Reactions: Woody Stover
scared to stack wood in the house...how many people go from the wood stack to the stove ?
I go from the stack to a staging area close to the door. I also keep several days' worth by the stove in a hoop.
20191206_163845.jpg

I have wood stacks out back drying with plenty of wind and sun. When it's burning season, I bring a face cord into the garage and stack it. Then I use these: Amazon product ASIN B07KRV2FF7to bring wood from the garage to the wood box that's 4' from the stove. I used to just carry them in my arms from the garage into the house but it made a huge mess on my clothes and the floors. These totes allow me to carry more wood in one trip and keep things clean.

I keep a pallet stacked on the covered porch full of wood. I keep a load next to the stove. I bring wood in by hand.....i have been meaning to order one of the carriers shown above but im a slacker.

i bring from the stack to the stove. It’s about 30 yards. If the weather looks wet I will fill a wheelbarrow and keep in under a covers porch. It’s about 2 days worth.

I keep my winter supply stacked in the basement
warm and dry. Hate having to go outside to bring
in snow-covered frozen wood.
And no I have never in 40 years had a bug problem!!

Reactions: Indiana wood
My brother in law puts 7 cords in his basement every september and has never had a bug problem, he has the Englander furnace.