Durock discussion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No, because they don't have product for your old data sheets. And, as distributors, it's their job to have data sheets for all USG products they carry.
I just told you they had the old products on Thursday when I went and bought a skid. Really try to follow along. They have the old heavy stuff and the stuff labeled as next gen. So why would they have the new sheets

I just told you they had the old products on Thursday when I went and bought a skid. Really try to follow along. They have the old heavy stuff and the stuff labeled as next gen. So why would they have the new sheets

I think I figured out what you're not understanding. The stuff labeled "Next Gen" has exactly the same specifications as the new stuff. The only difference is the marketing term "Next Gen", the product numbers are the same.

I think I figured out what you're not understanding. The stuff labeled "Next Gen" has exactly the same specifications as the new stuff. The only difference is the marketing term "Next Gen", the product numbers are the same.
Yes I understand that

Moved discussion to it's own thread. In summary, in some parts of the country there are a possible 3 variations on Durock cement board. The original Durock (r=.26) which is pure cement board, Durock NexGen (r=.39) which has perlite and pumice added and now Durock (r=.39) without the NexGen labeling, but still with perlite added. All r values mentioned are for the 1/2" sheet.

Caveat emptor, read the label and product number to be sure which product you are getting. Another clue is that the original product is much heavier.

Wow! am I confused!! So I want to build my hearth this weekend. studying here . . found this thread . . googled: 'next gen cement board' . . got this link for HD 1/2" x 4 ft x 8 ft (https://www.homedepot.com/p/DUROCK-Next-Gen-1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Cement-Board-172968/202328849). Scrolled down to Questions; the 2nd Q from someone building a hearth. the Answer From USG states:

June 29, 2017
Thank you for your question.
We would not recommend Durock to be used as a harth. The material is only good up to 200F"

I posted the HD link so you can read it yourself! . . So is this the stuff I need or not!??

Kelly
(this is getting wayyy to complicated - this whole wood stove stuff)

I went through all the questions in that link and none pertained to or asked about hearth building. I then did the google search that you mentioned and got a different link than the one above. In that linked HD page I searched for "hearth". In a fireplace thread I found a second answer from "Brand Answers" which made the 200º statement. This is not from USG and as far as I can tell, it's erroneous. It would be applicable to their shower board though which has styrofoam in it. The first answer in that question thread is more correct. Yes, it is ok as long a it's not in direct contact with the fire.

sorry - my bad - the Q I meant to refer to was not 'building a hearth' - just using this product for wood stove installation in a trailer . . the 'answer' referred to a hearth - sorry for the confusion - but you got the right link.

guess I shouldn't always trust the answers . . . thanks for clarifying

Just to help anyone researching DUROCK Next Gen. From their web page <https://www.usg.com/content/dam/USG...ck-next-gen-cement-board-datasheet-en-can.pdf> under Limitations #7 it reads:
7. Avoid exposure to sustained temperatures exceeding 93°C(200°F).
The USA Version is found at <http://www.usg.com/content/dam/USG_...durock-cement-board-system-guide-en-SA932.pdf>
13. USG Durock® cement board panels should not be used in areas where they are exposed to temperatures that exceed 200°F.

I am in the process of insulting the inside of my fireplace before I reinsert my WinterWarm Small. I had read several threads that suggested Durock. I put the Rolux, then an 1/4" Durock sheet as a block off plate. I found that sagging a bit much so I added a 1/2" piece under it. It is not so saggy now.
I was wondering about the hole where the stack goes through since there is little clearance. In searching the web sit I found the above. I have never measured stack temp, but on older free standing stoves I have seen 300 to 600 degrees, but I do not know how long that temp stays up there. I believe the heat issue is a drying out and cracking issue - this is my opinion.
So I am thinking, since I have a templet I might go out and get sheet metal, used to be easily found in sheets at home depot, and put that under the durock. Then if it does degrade, it will stay in place on the sheet metal. Whatever happens, it will not catch fire.

Last edited:
Just went through this myself. You don't want to use next gen it's not high heat rated. Up here Home Depot still stocks regular durock and sell its as a "heat shield" its in the the drywall section, it also has a UL rating on the label as well. It's a pain in the ass to work with but have no worries with it at least. Next gem is lighter and is over in the tile section.

7858550C-1786-4F5A-B3B1-9523A257E583.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Crawdad
1- CI2600 Basement 685SF
2- LLevel 665SF
3- CI2600 Main 710SF
4- Upper Level 665SF

Planning the install, I have been told to insulate above damper after cut for liner & told not to insulate as unit will utilize air. Which is it? confused.
TMainFP.jpg BasementFP.jpg Thank You

Just went through this myself. You don't want to use next gen it's not high heat rated. Up here Home Depot still stocks regular durock and sell its as a "heat shield" its in the the drywall section, it also has a UL rating on the label as well. It's a pain in the ass to work with but have no worries with it at least. Next gem is lighter and is over in the tile section.

View attachment 237885
In researching Durock, I came across a submittal form at <http://literature.puertoricosupplier.com/036/PW35766.pdf>. It shows how Durock can reduce minimum clearances. It states at the top "Cement-board wall shields and floor protectors for UL-listed solid-fuel room heaters and stoves" and toward the end, "Standards Durock cement board is listed by Underwriters Laboratories, Inc., for use with UL-listed solid-fuel rooms heaters and fireplace stoves.
So If the wood burner is UL listed, it is good to go.