Dutchwest 2461 smoke smell and failed combustor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
He also disassembled and cemented the stove several times, i guess, he should remove both 90 curves and further increase height of the flue, or one of the two curves 90 could remain?
Well the 90 into the chimney can't change

Reactions: Prometeo
A pic of my setup. I know the elbow and horizontal run isn't ideal but the door was on the wrong end of the stove.
307226-8c7ed52c545c7d1887781d9db4b34a10.jpg
A 45* elbow coming off the stove, and another 45 (or two angles adding up to 90) going into the thimble would be better than the 90 you have now.
These stoves breathe decently. Mine works well at 16'. You may have to add a little height to the chimney. Even if you can't find a stove guy to do it, a handyman probably could if you do some reading and understand what is required, and relay that info to him. It's not exactly rocket science..
Oh, the pipe just sets on there. Held by two screws. Zero signs of leakage there, no soot. That connection is the least of my worries.

Usually have to pull it off 1-2 times during the summer to let a dumb bird who somehow managed to wriggle down the chimney, out. Got smart last summer and just opened the cleanout so the bird didn't have to fly through the house to get out...
Does the cleanout seal well after you close it? That would hurt the draft..

there is a stainless lined masonry chimney that exits the roof through the adjacent room (the "wood shed").

There are 18 x 8" high masonry units above where the pipe enters the chimney, plus another good 12" of stainless protruding above that. So that's 13'.
Are you saying there's a stainless 6" liner in the masonry chimney, all the way to the top?
I don't understand the "18x8" high masonry units." What are they?

Are you saying there's a stainless 6" liner in the masonry chimney, all the way to the top?
I don't understand the "18x8" high masonry units." What are they?
There is some sort of custom insulated or double walled stainless liner in the chimney that extends about 18" past the top of the masonry. Dad put it in after they had a chimney fire which damaged the original terra-cotta(? orange clay material) liner. I have no idea where it came from or who sells it, all I know is it's "custom" not a standard size, so it's not like you can just monkey your way up there and stuff another length of pipe on the end to extend the chimney.

The main structure of the chimney is constructed of concrete masonry units. Like cinder blocks. They're 8" high and there are 18 of them counting from where the pipe enters the chimney to the top, plus another 18" of stainless that extends above that.

There is some sort of custom insulated or double walled stainless liner in the chimney that extends about 18" past the top of the masonry. Dad put it in after they had a chimney fire which damaged the original terra-cotta(? orange clay material) liner. I have no idea where it came from or who sells it, all I know is it's "custom" not a standard size, so it's not like you can just monkey your way up there and stuff another length of pipe on the end to extend the chimney.

The main structure of the chimney is constructed of concrete masonry units. Like cinder blocks. They're 8" high and there are 18 of them counting from where the pipe enters the chimney to the top, plus another 18" of stainless that extends above that.
try gasket between stove and flue
81woAqEn9LL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg