dutchwest 2479 WORST STOVE EVER

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rkymtnoffgrid said:
This thread is like an addiction for thoes of us with a love-hate relationship with our ductwest...I'm a fiend. I keep thinking someones going to pop on and suddenly tell me to remove the shipping block from my stove and it's suddenly going to work... Until that happens, I'll keep looking forward to new posts on this crazy thread...

You're finding the Leyden much easier to operate in everburn? I'm curious why you purchased another downdraft with all the troubles with Dutchwest.
Besides Leyden is a great looking stove.

The Leyden simply works, the Ducthwest does not, instead of the secondary combustion loosing heat and stalling, the leyden will actually build and stabilize. Heat output is strong and consistent for a good long time, not so with the Dutchwest. Just my observations, I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong with the dutchwest, why doesn't it operate like my Leyden? I don't know... When I bought the Leyden, I didn't realize it was in the same "class" at the dutchwest, so the answer to that question is that it was bought out of ignorance to the downdraft design, and I certainly would not have bought it if knew it shared the same design as the "everburn". But now that I have both stoves and see how well the Leyden performs, I'm just wondering if it isn't the Dutchwest itself. My only complaint about the leyden is the ash drawer, its a little funky, and I think all downdrafts will suffer from a boring fire and smoky glass. But I no longer belive all the downdrafts suffer from "stalling" or "going nuclear", that trait is appearantly very common with the dutchwest. If I had it to do all over again, a sideload fairview or sideload Jotul would be the route I would take... No matter how carefull I am, I can't do a full reload without a trace of smoke smell with the Leyden. The sideload dutchwest was harder to get wood and made a bigger mess, but never made the cabin smell like smoke.

rkymtnoffgrid said:
The Leyden simply works, the Ducthwest does not, instead of the secondary combustion loosing heat and stalling, the leyden will actually build and stabilize. Heat output is strong and consistent for a good long time, not so with the Dutchwest. Just my observations, I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong with the dutchwest, why doesn't it operate like my Leyden? I don't know... When I bought the Leyden, I didn't realize it was in the same "class" at the dutchwest, so the answer to that question is that it was bought out of ignorance to the downdraft design, and I certainly would not have bought it if knew it shared the same design as the "everburn". But now that I have both stoves and see how well the Leyden performs, I'm just wondering if it isn't the Dutchwest itself. My only complaint about the leyden is the ash drawer, its a little funky, and I think all downdrafts will suffer from a boring fire and smoky glass. But I no longer belive all the downdrafts suffer from "stalling" or "going nuclear", that trait is appearantly very common with the dutchwest. If I had it to do all over again, a sideload fairview or sideload Jotul would be the route I would take... No matter how carefull I am, I can't do a full reload without a trace of smoke smell with the Leyden. The sideload dutchwest was harder to get wood and made a bigger mess, but never made the cabin smell like smoke.

When I bought the Leyden, I couldn't have told you a downdraft from a cat from a burn tube. How was I to know? That first night I burned for awhile, filled her up with huge splits, and closed the bypass. I thought it was that easy! Took me a long time to get the glass clean after that one.
But I'm thinking the saving grace with the Leyden will be its burn time- if I can master the everburn w/o a degree in wood/coal placement first. Frigid weekend coming up so she's gonna get a workout. Sounds like the dutchwest has put some folks on their knees.

the dutchwest did much more than put me on my knees. haha. just about sent me to my grave early

How ironic, the leyden had me on my knees last night searching for the secondary air intake.
See About Last Night thread. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.