Dutchwest Federal Airtight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shniggysaurus

Nov 13, 2019
USA
Hi folks.
I recently bought a house with an old dutchwest federal airtight FA288cl wood stove that I'm trying to figure out. In my attempt to clean it this year I have found that I can't get the top off of it even though I have taken off all of the screws. It may be welded on after 30 years of use. I also just purchased a catalytic combustor for it but I can't seem to get the bypass door to close completely. Is the bypass supposed to close and completely block the path of exhaust so that it all goes through the combustor? Or is it supposed to remain open an inch or so?

Hi folks.
I recently bought a house with an old dutchwest federal airtight FA288cl wood stove that I'm trying to figure out. In my attempt to clean it this year I have found that I can't get the top off of it even though I have taken off all of the screws. It may be welded on after 30 years of use. I also just purchased a catalytic combustor for it but I can't seem to get the bypass door to close completely. Is the bypass supposed to close and completely block the path of exhaust so that it all goes through the combustor? Or is it supposed to remain open an inch or so?
It is supposed to close all the way. Post a pic of the stove and I can probably walk you through it.

Let me know if this doesn't work
Here is a picture of the stove and a terrible video I took trying to see where it was hanging up. I have removed as much of the debris as I can find and I'm pretty sure its iron hitting iron, but I can't see it for sure.

Let me know if this doesn't work
Here is a picture of the stove and a terrible video I took trying to see where it was hanging up. I have removed as much of the debris as I can find and I'm pretty sure its iron hitting iron, but I can't see it for sure.
Ok so you took the 4 7/16 bolts out under the edge of the top?

Yeah. There were only 3 bolts left - one must have been lost over the years - all of them with washers. I attempted to lift it but it wouldn't budge. I took a 4 lb hammer and began to tap the edges to see if there was a stuck spot, but unsuccessful. Then I went to tapping harder and harder til I was hitting pretty hard. Nothing was moving.

Yeah. There were only 3 bolts left - one must have been lost over the years - all of them with washers. I attempted to lift it but it wouldn't budge. I took a 4 lb hammer and began to tap the edges to see if there was a stuck spot, but unsuccessful. Then I went to tapping harder and harder til I was hitting pretty hard. Nothing was moving.
It is probably glued with creosote. Try prying a little

If the damper doesn't close there are a few possibilities. There could be debris obstructing it. It could just need adjusted or it could be warped. But you need to get the top off to find out.

Hi folks.
did you ever get the top off successfully? I am having the same issue with my Federal Airtight. I need to replace the baffle and can do it without the top off but would like to remove it so in future I can if needed! Thanks for your reply in advance....