DutchWest LP stove oozing white stuff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pmjay

Dec 7, 2013
nova scotia
Hard to describe, but there are white crystals forming on the floor under my freestanding LP stove after it runs hot for awhile. I took the back off and white sediment is all along the seam of the firebox. Chunks of cement of some sort are also coming off the seam. Is there something I can use to reseal this seam? I've looked at some Imperial brand stove cements. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• P1010573.JPG
    P1010573.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 198
  • P1010576.JPG
    P1010576.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 250
this happens to all cast stoves that are cemented together its just the excess that oozed out when the pieces were put together during production.If you do see a spot that lost all its cement rutland brand 2000 degree cement can be bought at menards .

this happens to all cast stoves that are cemented together its just the excess that oozed out when the pieces were put together during production.If you do see a spot that lost all its cement rutland brand 2000 degree cement can be bought at menards .[/quote
Thanks, it's not just the pieces falling off, but a whitish crystalized puddle forms on the floor, like it was leaking/melting when really hot.
I guess I could try to recoat the whole seam. I'm not familiar with that brand, but can get Imperial product here in Canada. http://www.greentek.ca/stove_maintenanceproducts.cfm?c=325

Status
Not open for further replies.