Earth Friendly Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

UpStateNY

Feeling the Heat
May 4, 2008
Catskill Mountains
We have all seen the famous Earth Rise photo taken from the moon.

Question what is the most earth friendly heat - wood pellets versus propane versus fuel oil?

The answer should consider
  • Production
    • For example some part of propane comes from natural gas or fracking that impacts water
  • Delivery
  • Efficiency of burning
If you have links please post

Thank you

Description
Propane is a three-carbon alkane with the molecular formula C₃H₈. It is a gas at standard temperature and pressure, but compressible to a transportable liquid. A by-product of natural gas processing and petroleum refining, it is commonly used as a fuel. Propane is one of a group of liquefied petroleum gases. Wikipedia

Description
Propane is a three-carbon alkane with the molecular formula C₃H₈. It is a gas at standard temperature and pressure, but compressible to a transportable liquid. A by-product of natural gas processing and petroleum refining, it is commonly used as a fuel. Propane is one of a group of liquefied petroleum gases. Wikipedia

Thanks Ssyko. Propane comes from natural gas (fracking), pumping oil out of the ground, and refining both. So what is the affects on the earth when using propane versus other heat source? Many articles can be found on what is less expensive or which heat source produces less air pollution. What about the effect of the entire system on the planet? There seems to be so little data on the entire stack.

Personally! It makes no difference to me. There are billions on this planet i cannot change anything anymore than you can. So im staying warm the most economical way i can. Right, wrong, who knows.

Personally! It makes no difference to me. There are billions on this planet i cannot change anything anymore than you can. So im staying warm the most economical way i can. Right, wrong, who knows.

Ssyko your answer is probably the same for 90% of Americans. For most of us it’s all be based on capitalism and money. I am getting old and just question why are so many of my life desions based on money.

Just maybe this home we call Earth will become more important to humans.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ear...AUIEigB&biw=1112&bih=732#imgrc=1yU5T2LojRoAmM

Ssyko your answer is probably the same for 90% of Americans. For most of us it’s all be based on capitalism and money. I am getting old and just question why are so many of my life decesions based on money.

Why isn't new construction built with solar gain utilized? If a house were built with that in mind, you would see different building methods take advantage of solar. Why don't more people use geothermal as well? Everything that we do is driven by money. I wish we could change this mentality, but that is the way it is here.

Why isn't new construction built with solar gain utilized? If a house were built with that in mind, you would see different building methods take advantage of solar. Why don't more people use geothermal as well? Everything that we do is driven by money. I wish we could change this mentality, but that is the way it is here.
It has everything to with costs
The type of homes you suggest cost almost twice as much as
conventional stick build homes in Canada
And then there is the maintenance it is expensive not all people can do it
and not everyone can afford it

Exactly people cannot justify the cost in their head at time of purchase. Even though in the long run it will pay for itself. Prime example we sell modular homes we can bring in a 16 wide and it will sit forever because the guy down the road is selling a 14 wide down the road cheaper then our 16... people cannot calculate why ours is more expensive. Yet we bring in a 14w and its sold before we get it off the wheels

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

If you believe in the carbon myth, wood heat is the most carbon neutral heat.
Pellets come next, but the process of making wood into pellets is energy intensive, so in the end, it adds much more carbon to the atmosphere because of trucking, electricity generation and bagging .
Gas comes next , then oil

We have dams in the PNW. And wind. So you can make the argument that good old electricity is pretty great, even better when you run a heat pump that returns 3-5 units of heat for every 1 unit of electricity with no emissions.

Wood heat here. 100% for the last 13 years.

Reactions: DneprDave