Earth Stove HP40 smells like smoke when the auger runs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

A-Clean

Jan 8, 2017
Washington
Just today my Earth Stove HP40 started to put out a smoky smell. It seems to be coming from where the hot air comes out confection blower. It gets really bad when when the auger kicks on. Any ideas what can cause this?

Not familiar with your stove but in general I would check all motors. It may become obvious upon inspection, one may be hot to the touch etc. Does it move freely, can it be lubricated, are all connections tight, correct voltage to them, are they covered and filled with dust? Use your senses to see where the smell is coming from you may be able to save it in time and or order the part sooner.
Good luck.

The stove has dual augers and when you hear them kick in it smells like pellet smoke, not like hot electric or burning wires. The only thing I can think of is I might have a small hole in my confection tubes and when the auger pushes more pellets into the burner it slightly puts the fire out and causes more smoke inside the firebox to escape out the confection tubes. It does sound like one of the auger motor might be going out. I'll take it apart and inspect everything. Oh yeah, the stove and chimney was cleaned about 2 months ago.

If two months you may very well be due or past-due for a deeper cleaning depending on how many pellets you have burned. If by "convection tubes" you mean heat exchanger and you are getting odors from burning pellets I would suggest getting a low level CO tester and check that. If you have "holes" in your heat exchanger that would need to be replaced and possibly determine why that happened. You should not be having "smoke" except on startup also imo.
When diagnosing it is best to start with a clean stove and flue unless it is simply a failed motor etc. imo.

Waaaay to long since last cleaning. Most stoves won't go past a month and yours probably a week. You haven't probably done anything much since you put in the newer fan.
Most all stove issues are resolved by a good cleaning