Earthquake splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
Saw the little 12 tons splitter at HD for $900. Looked at it online and it can get gotten for between 8-850.

I have the little Ryobi 4 ton electric but it cannot touch this years Maple that i have a bunch of from the December storm. I mostly split Oak, Ash, Maple, Birch, Hemlock and stuff.

I was just wondering if anyone has any info on this little splitter and if it is strong enough and worth the $$ or should I save up and get a Big boy.

The little earthquake collapses to have a low center of gravity so it can be pulled behind an ATV.

You can get a full size 20+ ton splitter for around $1100. Id save up and wait.

skinnykid said:
Not looking for cash, just wants fire arms! Weird.
Well...it looks like you have a few. That's why I posted it for you.

Do you work for Wildlife Tech ? If so, I guess you're in Southern NH.
Great stuff on that website. I'd like to get into coyote/fox one of these years.

A funny: A taxidermist buddy of mine had a guy bring in a coyote. He went to get it from the truck and the hunter had gutted it. LOL !

i purchased this logspiltter last year from Home depot and love it because it will spilt anything i can lift. i get all my wood for free while i am working because i am in service bussiness for a major company. The one thing i really like is it takes little effort to transport from my garage to backyard. I have seen one at my local home depot recently for 750.00 on closeout with a viper engine.

Brian VT said:
skinnykid said:
Not looking for cash, just wants fire arms! Weird.
Well...it looks like you have a few. That's why I posted it for you.

Do you work for Wildlife Tech ? If so, I guess you're in Southern NH.
Great stuff on that website. I'd like to get into coyote/fox one of these years.

A funny: A taxidermist buddy of mine had a guy bring in a coyote. He went to get it from the truck and the hunter had gutted it. LOL !

ya I got a few but not as many as before! Try out predator hunting, it is very addicting. Much harder than any other hunting that I know of.

I hunted out in North Danville before, nice country there!

My local Menards has an Earthquake 12 ton splitter, previously run but with full warranty, for $600. Hubby suggested we buy it. I keep resisting getting a splitter, but we have an awful lot of unsplit wood. Anyway, taking a quick look at it, I couldn't figure out how you would split the wood without it falling off before it gets split. The beam where the wood would go is flat and not very wide. I assume it works horizontally, so how does the wood stay in place until it gets whacked? Maybe there is something I am not understanding about how it works, but I sure wouldn't want to have to hold onto some wood while it is being split. Any advice on this? Thanks in advance.

Hold the wood with one hand while extending the ram. Once there is pressure on the wood you can let go of it.

Thanks. I was hoping the technique didn't involve my hand in the place the wood was about to be split, but I guess that is how many of them work. Seems like it would be wiser to have a wider, slightly concave thing for the wood to sit on so you didn't have to have a hand there. Safety first and all that.

The ram moves so slow that you have plenty of time to remove your hand once the wedge is set in the wood. I don't really consider it a safety issue.

I'm not going to suggest the Ryobi is perfect for every situation, however did you try notching the rounds with your saw and lubricating the splitting wedge? I was able to get through a half cord of maple earlier this week using these techniques; prior to researching I could barely sink the wedge before it would give up. I don't mind the overhead of the prep work, if you want to power through, by all means look for something bigger. I also found sharpening the wedge every so often helped. I got through a cord-and-a-half of 20 - 28" rounds this morning with the same methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.