Earthstove 1003C......no catalyst

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

downriver

Sep 25, 2009
Seiad Valley, CA
Hi, new member here

I recently purchased a home with the subject stove. Upon examination it appears the catalyst and all the retaining hardware are missing.

I have no experience with catalytic stoves

Is it safe to burn the stove without the catalyst? Can it damp down enough to hold a fire with the flue open?

Thanks for any responses !!!

It's probably not a good idea to run it without the catalyst. This should be a decent stove. Have you contacted a local Lennox stove dealer for the missing retaining parts? Condar and others sell replacement catalytic converters.

http://www.woodstovecombustors.com/

You lose efficiency big time without the cat and it may be illegal to burn without it.

BeGreen said:
It's probably not a good idea to run it without the catalyst. This should be a decent stove. Have you contacted a local Lennox stove dealer for the missing retaining parts? Condar and others sell replacement catalytic converters.

http://www.woodstovecombustors.com/

Thank you for the info. There are no local dealers. Will the combustor stay in place without the retaining clips? Do you have any idea where the clips can be obtained online?

Thanks again!!

Just want to concur with what the others have posted. I would not burn it at all until you had that cat put back in the way it was supposed to be. See how much the parts will cost you. Cat stoves can be a pain in the rear and with the 30% tax credit you may be able to sell that stove for a couple hundred bucks and pick up a new non cat one for a fairly small net investment

Thanks, it looks like around $400 to get it up and running. I am leaning towards a new non-catalytic model. The tax credit is a major incentive.

Franks said:
Just want to concur with what the others have posted. I would not burn it at all until you had that cat put back in the way it was supposed to be. See how much the parts will cost you. Cat stoves can be a pain in the rear and with the 30% tax credit you may be able to sell that stove for a couple hundred bucks and pick up a new non cat one for a fairly small net investment

Status
Not open for further replies.