East Coaster First Pine and Spruce Scrounge and Id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mrd1995

Burning Hunk
Feb 21, 2020
North East, Pa
I will post some pictures later, but FB Marketplace score of some Red Pine and Norway Spruce. Backed the ramp of the trailer up to the log and rolled them on. Homeowner has no clue what the species are, but I am thinking Red Pine and Norway Spruce. I am no good at the Id of conifers. Probably 2+ cords of wood though! I am excited this is the first time I will ever have burnt a conifer besides 2 x 4 scraps.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Any pics? The pine should have thick bark if it was a big tree. All of the red and black spruce around our house has very thin bark.

Any pics? The pine should have thick bark if it was a big tree. All of the red and black spruce around our house has very thin bark.
I am headed over after work today to buck the rest of the logs, I will get some pictures and post them later or in the morning. Thank you for checking out my post!

The Conifer in this comment I believe to be Red Pine, the one that I bucked and hauled away had a blue-gray coloration to the wood which I understand could be a fungal infection? Tree was about 20" at stump height, the standing tree in the photo is the same species as the log that I hauled out. 2 Needles per cluster and when folded tip to tip snapped clean.
1596711440035.png

1596711462784.png

1596711523402.png

1596711570713.png

1596711609109.png

The other tree I believe to be Norway Spruce? approx. 26" at the stump and the other one was about 20" at the stump. Sap looked like honey pouring out of the log, it smelled like untreated 2 x 4 studs.

1596712287977.png

1596712308822.png

1596712333388.png

1596712370162.png

1596712430150.png

1596712465920.png

Attachments

• 1596712270649.png
    1596712270649.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 167
+1 for red pine + Norway spruce
red pine has reddish bark, with long needles in straight fascicles of two that break cleanly. It tends to have a straight bottle brush habit. Austrian pine, another common (but non-native) two-fascicled pine has needles that do not break cleanly, bark is grayer and is susceptible to Diplodia needle cast. Scots pine has orangish bark, its habit is irregular, and its two needled fascicles are shorter and slightly twisted.
Needles of Norway spruce are shorter than Colorado (blue) spruce and branches have a pendulous habit.

Looks like black spruce to me, but that's not a whole lot different from Norway spruce. I wish those logs were here at my house, would make great lumber!

Looks like black spruce to me, but that's not a whole lot different from Norway spruce. I wish those logs were here at my house, would make great lumber!
I said the same thing, my dad just purchased a woodmizer LT35HD and I wish it was in or I had a way to load the logs. Beautiful wood a shame to make cordwood out of it. Although the wife and I will appreciate it come next winter.

I said the same thing, my dad just purchased a woodmizer LT35HD and I wish it was in or I had a way to load the logs. Beautiful wood a shame to make cordwood out of it. Although the wife and I will appreciate it come next winter.
Most of the trees on our property are Balsam Fir and Red/Black Spruce. We just got a Logosol F2+ this summer and trust me I've turned many good saw logs into firewood in the past two years before getting the mill. On the other hand I took a gamble on some logs I thought for sure would be firewood and they turned out really nice.

Reactions: mrd1995
The shape of the boughs says Norway Spruce to me. I'd call that pine Red pine.

I didn't realize black spruce grew that far south. The ones up here are pretty scrawny, but they burn real nice. The coaling stage is really short, so you can just just reload and get back up on the secondaries (or cat) and not have to worry about finding a firebox full of coals three days into a prolonged cold snap. Fabulous cold weather wood.

I am not saying it is or isn't black spruce, I am not great at tree ID; but whatever that is I expect it to dry quick (one summer off the ground and top covered), burn hot and not have a long coaling stage.

Reactions: SpaceBus
The Conifer in this comment I believe to be Red Pine, the one that I bucked and hauled away had a blue-gray coloration to the wood which I understand could be a fungal infection? Tree was about 20" at stump height, the standing tree in the photo is the same species as the log that I hauled out. 2 Needles per cluster and when folded tip to tip snapped clean.
View attachment 262055
View attachment 262056
View attachment 262057
View attachment 262058
View attachment 262059
red pine - Pinus resinosa

Do you have a picture of that blue colored Pine? Sounds like the fungus that is carried with Mountain Pine Beetle, but I didn't think the MPB went that far east. Unless it's the Southern Pine Beetle. Either way not good for the pine forests.

Around here we the forests have been decimated by the MPB. There's lots of dead pine around, and about 99% of the dead ones are blue inside when you cut them down.

Do you have a picture of that blue colored Pine? Sounds like the fungus that is carried with Mountain Pine Beetle, but I didn't think the MPB went that far east. Unless it's the Southern Pine Beetle. Either way not good for the pine forests.

Around here we the forests have been decimated by the MPB. There's lots of dead pine around, and about 99% of the dead ones are blue inside when you cut them down.
I will grab a few pictures this evening, there are definite bore holes through the bark. I am wondering if we have some beetle activity out this way, we have a few hemlock on our property but I have been seeing pine on the way to work turning brown...

Here are a few pics of the pine in question, it was a little more noticeable when freshly bucked, the rounds may end up as fire pit chow a little soft.

Attachments

• 20200813_184706[1].jpg
    20200813_184706[1].jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200813_184713[1].jpg
    20200813_184713[1].jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 154
Here are a few pics of the pine in question, it was a little more noticeable when freshly bucked, the rounds may end up as fire pit chow a little soft.

The blue fungus staining looks very similar to ours but the bore holes are much bigger than I'm used to. Our pine beetles are the size of a grain of rice, they make very small bore holes. Either way not a good thing. That fungus is carried by the beetles and blocks the capillaries in the tree.

I really like it for firewood though, our pine has been ravaged by the beetle for millenia and it's natural defense is to fill the boreholes with sap and flood the beetles out. That sappy wood makes for high btu fuel. I cut down one tree this winter that had so much sap a split would stick to your hand from the adhesion of the sap.

Nice haul, split thicker and let it sit for atleast a year off the ground, will be nice burning wood in no time.