Eastern hop hornbeam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Johntom89

Sep 7, 2019
United states
Hello all. Recently joined, as i have seen many times people state they habe been following and reading just hadn't joined yet, well i am another haha.

In anycase we heat our house with wood, and im busy building up our stash as ots seemingly never done. We arr blessed with a beautiful wood lot of 5 1/2 acres 95% hardwoods, heavily wooded with beech, yellow and white birch, limited red oak, rock and red maples, white ash, back cherry, common serviceberry, many apple trees and a few other popples and other softer woods. All of these i have good experienced with.

My parents land is the land with best of the best i guess you could say. Loaded with black birch, and eastern hop hornbeam which we dropped some and are very impressed by the shear strength and hardness even green. It is a rare example of truely being as good as they say haha. These trees were about 45 ft tall and 16" in diameter so a rare bird for a hornbeam. Said to be the best firewood in all the land here in Vermont but beings a bormally smaller and very slow growing tree theres very limited info on these trees as far as forewood goes. I droppes them in mid july and im impressed with the amount of checking going on so far but how long does thos stuff normally take to season? Anyone else have over a cord of this stuff? I mean where you can actually use it required instead of only 15 degrees below?

After posting it i re read my words, i apologize lol. I guess i meant to ask how does it season? We have a buck 2700 set up as a freestanding stove in the main mudroom and is this a wood i can turn the intake down low and burn for 10 hrs a load? Should i mix it with say white ash with cherry?
Im really excited with this "ironwood" of course thats after sharpening my dam chain a couple times, incredible considering it was all totally clean.

Reactions: D8Chumley
It takes two years once split. Drying speed is roughly related to density. Hard to beat eastern hophornbeam for density. Those trees you got were quite big, the biggest I have seen is about 10".

I have lots of Hornbeam AKA Ironwood Burns very hot and for a long time
2 years drying but 3 is better. Get a moisture meter and keep an eye on it
And Welcome to the Forum

Thanks guys. I know you have heard it before but this is a very good site and its the people like yous who are key. I appreciate the very quick response time.

I did assume it would season along the lines of red oak, but didnt know if it was more of sugar maple. The amount of checking already was stunning.

Does the EHHB burn like shagbark then? I am hopeful it has the attributes of black birch only with an extra hour or 2 od actual burn time

Very nice. Honestly if it didnt take so long to grow i would be taking all of them down and hording all i can. I only took the ones i did because they were rotting out, seem to behave identical to apple trees. Dead limbs then the trunk hollows out entirely. Theres 4 more the same size i left standing along with i think 12 smaller ones about 6" to 3" smallers ones that are deff healthy and strong perhaps the other large ones are just as rotten in the middle just not sure how to reliably check.

As far as the seasoning process goes eastern hophornbeam sounds identical to hickory then, i love oak yet hate waiting for it to finally be ready.

I plan on taking some of the large black birch this month for next years burn

Wow what a beautiful looking tree, might have to try planting a few here.

It is a very nice tree. Very good to have for the wildlife aswell. The "hop" part which is almost like a mini soft pine cone is packed with seeds. I personally don't know what eats them but i know theyre edible.

One last question i have about another much less known firwood is common serviceberry. I have a large ones ( for the species big i guess) about 10 to 12" diameter and had never seen one before last year when i dropped a dying one. Smelled like filthy fish/body odor haha its true, but as it jas dried the scent has gone. Very suprised just how hard the wood is and after throwing a few dry pieces in the outside firepit they burned very hot for a long time, burned to very good coals that pumped out the heat way longer than i wanted to stay out that night. Needless to say the garden hose had a fun time dousing the fire.

We need to start a forum here stating some known facts, seasoning time, long burn great for over night burns quick heat of all the firewood possible. I tried to google even white ash to show someone it would do for an overnight burn (yes there better wood) and there was zero posts on it. So lets start on up with everyone outting in all the info we can

Exactly. Im talking about all the different soecies from our staple firewood stacks.

Hop hornbeam
Common serviceberry
Hawthorn ( the bigger types)
And so on...

Bo where else is the info on these. What they look like, how dense they are, how they burn as in hot and fast or fast and long or if they burn dirty or whatever else, seasoning times. Even when it is best to drop said species

Hello all. Recently joined, as i have seen many times people state they habe been following and reading just hadn't joined yet, well i am another haha.

In anycase we heat our house with wood, and im busy building up our stash as ots seemingly never done. We arr blessed with a beautiful wood lot of 5 1/2 acres 95% hardwoods, heavily wooded with beech, yellow and white birch, limited red oak, rock and red maples, white ash, back cherry, common serviceberry, many apple trees and a few other popples and other softer woods. All of these i have good experienced with.

My parents land is the land with best of the best i guess you could say. Loaded with black birch, and eastern hop hornbeam which we dropped some and are very impressed by the shear strength and hardness even green. It is a rare example of truely being as good as they say haha. These trees were about 45 ft tall and 16" in diameter so a rare bird for a hornbeam. Said to be the best firewood in all the land here in Vermont but beings a bormally smaller and very slow growing tree theres very limited info on these trees as far as forewood goes. I droppes them in mid july and im impressed with the amount of checking going on so far but how long does thos stuff normally take to season? Anyone else have over a cord of this stuff? I mean where you can actually use it required instead of only 15 degrees below?
Most of our American Hophornbeam we fell are damaged but we still give it two years stacked before we burn it, great firewood.

Exactly. Im talking about all the different soecies from our staple firewood stacks.

Hop hornbeam
Common serviceberry
Hawthorn ( the bigger types)
And so on...

Bo where else is the info on these. What they look like, how dense they are, how they burn as in hot and fast or fast and long or if they burn dirty or whatever else, seasoning times. Even when it is best to drop said species
All that info is already here, just have to find it, we discuss this stuff all the time but mostly in the cold seasons.
I think you need to turn your spell check on ;)

Reactions: Woody Stover
Thanks for the added info guys. The hop hornbeam is pretty unusual wood i must admit, the amount of checking already and the slight drop in weight had me sure it was a very fast drying wood, figuring maybe being so dam hard it had very low moisture to begin with. I was comparing it too the common servicerry which seems to season much slower, 2 years at the least this service berry i assume. I dont mean to keep going on and on but does anyone else have service berry they burn and have experience with?

Sorry for the drop dead awful spelling im using my cellphone. Keyboard is the size of my thumbs, and my auto correct replaces antire words on me so i disabled it, should turn it on hey haha

I was just busting chops, what's service berry?

Its a ttee native to the northern reaches of the us, and canads. Its the hardest tree i personally have on our property. Dorsnt get real big the trunk on our biggest ones are about 12" diameter and roughly 35 to 40' tall which are big for the trees. The woodnisnalmost as hard as ironwood, but it either is or it isnt right lol

I read somewhere the native Americans made their arrow shafts and bows from the wood.
In canada when the trees started to bud it was time to have funeral services, hence "sercice" berry. The ones we have are like anerican beech, yet have vertical white tiger stripes.
First year burning it so idk about seasoning time but if anyone else does please, we are all ears

I was just busting chops, what's service berry

Looks similar to a dogwood. Pretty interesting on how it got its name.

Good write up you found fine sir. Its incredible how diverse our "wood supply" really can be. Up untill a couple years ago max i know myself i was pretty much unaware of these real high end species besides our famous big mammas like oak, maple,beech and more.

Our land is loaded with these little firewood wonders and yet i scan the web to find no real info on them, of the iron wood for that matter. I mean whats the seasoning time for bigger hawthorns both good circumstance and poor, how about common serviceberry does it season if i cut now for next year?

Someone replied i believe here at one point and said hop hornbeam requires 2 full years yet i jave some good sized splits ( was a monster ehhb tree at 16 diameter) that read 30% moisture with my MM but i bought it only last month so idk what the MC was green. Seems to loose moisture quick.

Just an amazing lack of overall discussions about these smaller but dam fine firewood trees. I understand the fireberry hawthorn i cut down with 5" diameter bases is big for that species but dam guys it puts rock maple to shame when its dry which we all know is impressive.

Does anyone have experience with these type of species, or others like the american hornbeam or ones idk even know we have around? We need to get iur knowledge and experience out there my friends. Spent too much time at much dismay finding little to nothing thus far

Oven-dry weight for Amelanchier spp. is 44 lb/ cf, the same as hop hornbeam (Ostrya), but much less than Osage-orange (53 lb/ cf).
https://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/rn/rn_nrs38.pdf (p.14)
Yes it's a dense wood. But it's a smaller tree. There just isn't a whole lot wood in the tree. It's fairly tough wood to split.
I scrounge it when & where I can, along with some of the other dense woods.

Now thats what im talking about. Wish we had osage orange up here in vermont but i guess the deeper freezes will kill them off. Gotta love it.

Do you back off and let it sit for maybe a year and a half before burning? And your dam right theyre small, if it wasnt for 20 of them from 8-12" diameter i would chip them up

Any time I have a piece of hop hornbeam in the stove, it feels like it's just gushing out heat, much more so than any other wood.

Only 2 old timers around here locally knew what i was talking about with the iron wood aka EHHB. Yet even they had no idea how long it needs to season under good circumstances, and the common serviceberry only one had burned it but i guess it was years ago and he has so much wood that theyre usually 3 if not more years ahead.

Appreciate the replies no matter what guys

Do you back off and let it sit for maybe a year and a half before burning? And your dam right theyre small, if it wasnt for 20 of them from 8-12" diameter i would chip them up

I've never burned ironwood but I would give it at least two years in the stack if not three like oaks. It is a very slow growing tree and dense hardwood. It rates up there just below hedge as far as btu. They are hell on a chain if your going to cut any in abundance.

Wish i could get some of that legendary hedge out here in these sticks....
I do agree after only 2 of the big hop hornbeams i did have to tune up the chain, genuinely too, but one was dying out. They seem to dry out identical to all my apple trees by the trunk being hollowed out, leaving everything from there up untouched u till eventual catastrophe, a dreaded tip over haha. If it wasnt for them dying out i wouldnt even have the luck of the 2 cords.

Must be the fact one was dying of how and why its dropping moisture so much faster then, i admit it i am excited to load the stove on the coldest night now lol