Easy oil changes.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyOne

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2006
Central NJ
I've read several posts from splitter owners about the difficulty changing the engine oil. I'm going to suggest a modification I made to my splitter during the first oil change. I did this probably 12 years ago, so I'm not positive of the sizes.

Like many of the splitters, my MTD has the B&S 6hp with the oil drain hole in the most difficult to reach location. After removing the plug, I went to the local hardware store and purchased a few standard 1/2" pipe parts to reroute the drain plug to an easier to reach location. Just use a little thread sealer. My yearly oil changes are a piece of cake now. The size of pipe will vary depending on where you want the drain plug.

Here's a pic to explain. Hope this helps....

p237817884-4.png

p64497100-4.png

NIce work. Just wondering why you made the extention on an 45* vs. straight down. Great idea though I like it.

I did the same thing to my Simplicity snowbloser. B&S motor has 4 drain plugs, all at the base of the motor...added 8" of pipe and a cap to the rear plughole and now all I have to do is loosten it and tip it into the pan...the first oil change required about quarter bag of kitty litter and a few rags to clean it all off the side of the snowblower.

My Ariens with the Tecumseh motor already had the drain pipe...works great.

Great idea Dennis!

Billy

Great idea. Did the same on my riding lawnmower. Before the oil would run down over the frame causing a mess. Also went to a larger car filter, works great.
Ed

Thanks for posting this. I've been thinking about doing the same thing on mine and was curious where the pipe would land. How short was the top nipple before the 45?

I think your drain plug is in the same position as mine. Here is a pic of the underside. I figured with a short nipple, that I would have to drill a hole through the side plate for the pipe and that the hole would support the pipe. Also thought of using a longer nipple to just clear the side plate and use a U bolt to support it.

100_0329.jpg

Yup, that's what the bottom of mine looks like. I actually put a small straight piece in then attached a 30 degree(?) elbow with another straight piece. I wanted the plug to the side where I could easily reach it.

There are no vibration issues with this setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.