easy tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amellefson

Jan 3, 2011
Southern WI
These are the trees from my "huge rounds post."
The stump and the one laying down are the same tree. The other two are different. I think one is elm. They should be easy IDs,

Thanks Tony

Attachments

• tree 003.jpg
    tree 003.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 301
  • tree 004.jpg
    tree 004.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 300
  • tree 001.jpg
    tree 001.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 292
  • tree 002.jpg
    tree 002.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 302
I think these pictures aren't enough information for ID. The first two might be Silver Maple, the third picture looks like Ash or Norway maple. I am not sure of the third tree shown in the fourth picture. For all of these trees I'd like to see more of the bark (not so close up), the tree from a longer distance showing the way it branches and general appearance, the end grain of a cut piece, and twigs close up.

pic's of the splitts. 3rd on the top ash

Lots like ash and maple on the bottom 2 pictures.

Backwoods Savage said:
Lots like ash and maple on the bottom 2 pictures.

After reading the other posts and Googling, I agree. Now I can't figure what kind of maple. I hope sugar, but I think it is silver. How are these woods for splitting?

About as easy as it comes! Looks like soft maple too so very easy. Ash is almost always as easy as it gets. One winter after an injury I split a bunch of ash while sitting down using a sledge and wedge. I could not take swinging the sledge nor the jarring so just tapped the wedges and it split very easy.

I have only split dried rounds as a kid. The way everyone talks slpitting fresh green wood is fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.