Eating everything!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Saw the deer this morning coming from the north side, they like that downed pine or whats left of it. We have some real thin sugar maple that need thinning so after we push in some wood I'll cut them down then see if the deer eat the tops.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2685.jpg
    100_2685.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 430
  • 100_2684.jpg
    100_2684.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 419
Zap

If you have any openings plant some rye in it. Mine is staying green under the snow and the deer are digging through the snow to eat it.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Zap

If you have any openings plant some rye in it. Mine is staying green under the snow and the deer are digging through the snow to eat it.

Billy

Not many openings around the house but the north side of the house with some nice dirt would make a good spot. We have plenty of white pine in the woods around the house but on the south east side it changes to hardwood which might make a good area for the rye.

Zap

One other thing about rye is if they don't eat all of it, the stuff will reseed all by itself. Rye is also good for building up the ground. I think buckwheat is a bit better for building up the ground but it might be a bit tricky to plan in your area Zap. Around here I plant it in June and then disc it in around August 1. It has a short growing season but talk about a deer magnet! Then for fall I usually plant a 50/50 mix of rye and buck forage oats. I've tried several types of oats but the BFO seem to draw the deer the best.

I think it's great that you guys are looking out for the deer. I call you "friend". At this training center where I used to work there were lots of deer. It was up on a hill by a lake with lots of trees. We put a salt block out for the deer.

Status
Not open for further replies.