Eating spicy peppers

NickW

Oct 16, 2019
SE WI
I love hot peppers, I grow my own Habenero every year. I make a habenero puree. I cut up a pint jar full of habeneros, (discard seds and ribs) Toss in a toe of garlic, and chunk of onion, a small carrot. Top off the jar with extra virgin olive oil, and vinegar, with a dash of kosher salt. Let it sit for a month or two in the fridge, then blend until smooth. I use about a pint a year. The whole hot in, hot out?..... I never evperienced that.
You're a very lucky fellow...

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
How do you use the puree?

snaple4

Burning Hunk
Dec 18, 2017
AR
I love hot peppers, I grow my own Habenero every year. I make a habenero puree. I cut up a pint jar full of habeneros, (discard seds and ribs) Toss in a toe of garlic, and chunk of onion, a small carrot. Top off the jar with extra virgin olive oil, and vinegar, with a dash of kosher salt. Let it sit for a month or two in the fridge, then blend until smooth. I use about a pint a year. The whole hot in, hot out?..... I never evperienced that.
That sounds good. What all do you use it on/with? The hot in and out is something I haven’t experienced before till this year. If you eat enough you should be able to feel it. It took me eating 3 or so jars of pickled peppers in less than a week to feel mine. Maybe it is cumulative?

Darn it, Talking about this again is making my mouth water for Pork steaks and pickled peppers but I can’t buy any because these yahoos around here are buying them all up and freezing them.

johneh

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2009
Eastern Ontario
Sounds good but you throw away the hottest part
the seeds chew on a few then you will know hot in hot out
But I'm going to try what you make

Touch0Gray

Feb 8, 2020
Wi
That sounds good. What all do you use it on/with? The hot in and out is something I haven’t experienced before till this year. If you eat enough you should be able to feel it. It took me eating 3 or so jars of pickled peppers in less than a week to feel mine. Maybe it is cumulative?

Darn it, Talking about this again is making my mouth water for Pork steaks and pickled peppers but I can’t buy any because these yahoos around here are buying them all up and freezing them.
I make a bbq sauce with the puree and fresh, whole cranberry sauce. Great on pork smoked on cherry wood! Apple works well too.

Touch0Gray

Feb 8, 2020
Wi
Sounds good but you throw away the hottest part
the seeds chew on a few then you will know hot in hot out
But I'm going to try what you make
i love the flavor of habeneros, too much heat and it kills the flavor for me

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
i love the flavor of habeneros, too much heat and it kills the flavor for me
Agreed. It's mostly about the flavor for me, but you have greater tolerance for heat than I. I stick mostly to jalapenos. This year I got some Allepo pepper seeds to try. That is what we now use for chili flakes. Love the flavor.

Touch0Gray

Feb 8, 2020
Wi
Agreed. It's mostly about the flavor for me, but you have greater tolerance for heat than I. I stick mostly to jalapenos. This year I got some Allepo pepper seeds to try. That is what we now use for chili flakes. Love the flavor.
Also keeping in mind that peppers (as well as onions and garlic) have been used medicinally for tens of thousands of years.