Eating spicy peppers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I love hot peppers, I grow my own Habenero every year. I make a habenero puree. I cut up a pint jar full of habeneros, (discard seds and ribs) Toss in a toe of garlic, and chunk of onion, a small carrot. Top off the jar with extra virgin olive oil, and vinegar, with a dash of kosher salt. Let it sit for a month or two in the fridge, then blend until smooth. I use about a pint a year. The whole hot in, hot out?..... I never evperienced that.
You're a very lucky fellow...

Reactions: moresnow
How do you use the puree?

I love hot peppers, I grow my own Habenero every year. I make a habenero puree. I cut up a pint jar full of habeneros, (discard seds and ribs) Toss in a toe of garlic, and chunk of onion, a small carrot. Top off the jar with extra virgin olive oil, and vinegar, with a dash of kosher salt. Let it sit for a month or two in the fridge, then blend until smooth. I use about a pint a year. The whole hot in, hot out?..... I never evperienced that.

That sounds good. What all do you use it on/with? The hot in and out is something I haven’t experienced before till this year. If you eat enough you should be able to feel it. It took me eating 3 or so jars of pickled peppers in less than a week to feel mine. Maybe it is cumulative?

Darn it, Talking about this again is making my mouth water for Pork steaks and pickled peppers but I can’t buy any because these yahoos around here are buying them all up and freezing them.

Sounds good but you throw away the hottest part
the seeds chew on a few then you will know hot in hot out
But I'm going to try what you make

That sounds good. What all do you use it on/with? The hot in and out is something I haven’t experienced before till this year. If you eat enough you should be able to feel it. It took me eating 3 or so jars of pickled peppers in less than a week to feel mine. Maybe it is cumulative?

Darn it, Talking about this again is making my mouth water for Pork steaks and pickled peppers but I can’t buy any because these yahoos around here are buying them all up and freezing them.
I make a bbq sauce with the puree and fresh, whole cranberry sauce. Great on pork smoked on cherry wood! Apple works well too.

Sounds good but you throw away the hottest part
the seeds chew on a few then you will know hot in hot out
But I'm going to try what you make
i love the flavor of habeneros, too much heat and it kills the flavor for me

i love the flavor of habeneros, too much heat and it kills the flavor for me
Agreed. It's mostly about the flavor for me, but you have greater tolerance for heat than I. I stick mostly to jalapenos. This year I got some Allepo pepper seeds to try. That is what we now use for chili flakes. Love the flavor.

Agreed. It's mostly about the flavor for me, but you have greater tolerance for heat than I. I stick mostly to jalapenos. This year I got some Allepo pepper seeds to try. That is what we now use for chili flakes. Love the flavor.
Also keeping in mind that peppers (as well as onions and garlic) have been used medicinally for tens of thousands of years.

In that case, I should be healthy as an ox.
in this health clime..........I hope so for yours and everyone elses sake! eat more Peppers, onions and garlic, then, even if we are sick and contagious, no one will come near us!

in this health clime..........I hope so for yours and everyone elses sake! eat more Peppers, onions and garlic, then, even if we are sick and contagious, no one will come near us!
LOL. I just tried nettles for the first time. Sauteed with garlic. Not bad. We are going to blanch up a batch and mix with swiss chard from the garden. Hope they don't itch on the way out. ;lol

Ramps will be up in a week or so here. I am looking forward to them, I have a LOT in my woods. One spring I collected enough to completely stuff a chicken with them. OMG......it was wonderful!

Not to show my stupidity but what are "Ramps"
some kind of mushroom I suspect photo, please
Ramps are a wild onion/garlic like herb, ungodly expensive if you have to buy them but easy to harvest if you know what to look for. They love well drained woodlands. I can't post a picture without downloading one, they are not up quite yet.

Ramps are a wild onion/garlic like herb, ungodly expensive if you have to buy them but easy to harvest if you know what to look for. They love well drained woodlands. I can't post a picture without downloading one, they are not up quite yet.
Ok we have the same thing but we call them wild leeks
Pickle about 5 to 7 jars every year
If you pick everything in a patch they will not come back always leave some
1585692713218.png

It seems we have these in our front yard. Always wondered where that onion smell came from
Carefully pull or dig 1 up clean it cut off the roots and eat it you will be surprised at how good they are

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Ok we have the same thing but we call them wild leeks
Pickle about 5 to 7 jars every year
If you pick everything in a patch they will not come back always leave some
View attachment 258852
yep, that's them....... no way I could over pick, i only use them fresh and I have a LOT

I just read that the native Americans used them to treat respiratory viruses.
I have a book I bought at just about the same time that I bought Knowing your Trees, North American Herbology.I cross reference EVERYTHING with Poisonous Plants of North America!