Echo cs 590 vs Stihl ms 291 or Stihl ms 311

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

efoyt

Sep 18, 2008
Maine
It's time to replace my old chain saw ( Stihl farm boss). I was looking at stihls when the guy that runs my local chainsaw shop suggested an echo. The ms 271 is about the level of saw I used to have. The ms 271 price is 459.00. The next size up is the ms 311 at 509.00. The echo cs 590 price 399.00 is comparable to the ms 271. But the saw is comparable to the ms 311. Ms 271 is 50 cc....both the ms 311 and the echo cs 590 are 60 cc chainsaws. So should I stick with Stihl ( prob the ms 271 ). Or should I get the echo?

Farm boss is traditionally the 291, not the 271. I own the ms290 and it's great. I am really appreciating a long bar these days not so much fof the large logs but because you dont have to bend over to cut the round and get a sore back.

Any new saw i get will be capable of running a 24" bar.

I've owned a few Echo's, and while they're old enough to probably have almost nothing to do with modern Echo's, they've been some of the most reliable saws I have ever owned. If you talk to landscape pro's, most will tell you that Stihl and Husqvarna typically beat Echo on power/weight ratio, but that Echo's are dead reliable and sturdy. It's hard to say anything bad about Echo, excepting maybe some of the crap they sell under that brand name in Lowes Depot.

I was in the same situation a few months back. It was between the 291 and the echo 590. I went with the 291 just because I thought it would be more durable. It's been good so far, but sometimes I think that maybe I should have got the echo. I have a cs300 and it's been very good also. You'll be happy either one. After all..... your getting a new saw!

The Echo 590 is the same as the 600 with the exception of some cost cutting items to help it compete with the Stihl saws. Spur sprocket, plastic handle, plastic clutch cover, and maybe a stamped bucking spike? Also a slightly cheaper Oregon bar/chain. But you can always swap most of those bits out easily when they need replacement with rim sprockets, different bars, etc.

The Echo 590 is the same as the 600 with the exception of some cost cutting items to help it compete with the Stihl saws. Spur sprocket, plastic handle, plastic clutch cover, and maybe a stamped bucking spike? Also a slightly cheaper Oregon bar/chain. But you can always swap most of those bits out easily when they need replacement with rim sprockets, different bars, etc.

i have many saws, THE 590 ECHO IS THE BEST DEAL ON EARTH, CUTS FAST RUNS GREAT, STARTS EASY, IM A LOGGER TOO MANY SAWS TO LIST BUT I OWN 2 590 ECHO-1 680 ECHO-3 CS400 , I HAVE A 455 HUSKY THAT CUTS JUST AS GOOd AS THE 460 HUSKY AND 100 DOLLORS LESS, THE ECHO HAS 5 YEAR WARENTTY AND THEY STAND BEHIND THERE SAWS, i was cutting red oak got my 590 stuck in a limb pushed the branch with my 650 dozer broke the saw almost in half, echo called me and pulled the parts off assembly line and paid for repair, i bought another one when i picked it up. my 680 echo will cut just as good as my new 2166 johnsred, for under 400 bucks the echo is the best buy out there bare none, echo all the way

Of the saws you're listing, I'd go with the 590 before I went with the 271, 291, or 311. Assuming you retune it correctly, the specs on paper certainly seem to sound like it is a solid value at a very tolerable price point. 18" bar for regular use, 24" with skip chain for jobs that require more bar.

I have run the 271, and was not impressed. It would be tolerable with a 16" bar, but not with more than that, and at least here people insist on outfitting those with 18-20" bars and expecting them to be happy with the bar fully buried in hardwood. I think its performance was actually less exciting than that of a 290, which is disappointing. The 455 and 460(H) that I've run were also uninspiring.

Reactions: UPswede
I will be getting the 590 to replace my MS 360 as soon as I get a day off. I'm excited to get it and throw some chips with it soon!

I will be getting the 590 to replace my MS 360 as soon as I get a day off. I'm excited to get it and throw some chips with it soon!
Echo 590 is a decent saw, but... replacing an MS 360? What am I missing. Is the 360 dead, or did you take a recent blow to the head?

It died. Must've been set up too lean and puked the P&C again. My buddy that put it together for me gave me $150 without the bar and chain because he felt bad so I figured for another $250 I won't be putting into the 360 I'll have a brand new 60cc saw with 5 yr warranty. Just have to figure out 18" or 20" bar. Leaning 20" with a rim sprocket right off the bat. He is going to rebuild it for his older dad that has a problematic 059 I think he said.
The saw shop I deal with is run by an honest Mennonite family and we buy all our stuff from them through work. The father is who I usually speak with and he is pretty high on the 590 for the money, almost half the price of a new 362

I took it there when it quit on me and they quoted me over $400 to rebuild with OEM stuff. No thanks

The saw shop I deal with is run by an honest Mennonite family and we buy all our stuff from them through work. The father is who I usually speak with and he is pretty high on the 590 for the money, almost half the price of a new 362
you must be talking about Penn Holo. I've bought quite a few saws there. Father and eight kids running the shop, if I recall.

Haha yes that's the one. I didn't know there were 8 kids but I believe it. I drive past CDI to go there

I have a 590. Nice saw, geat power and weight. I would recommend it. There are a few things. I wish it had a trigger lock. For some reason, I have only had this happen with this saw. The bar gets jammed with saw dust locking up the chain. I have adjusted the chain tension, but occonionally it happens I don't know why. The only way to get it I jammed is to remove the chain.

I don't think that's a deal breaker for me. I might swing by there tomorrow and drop $400 American on the counter and leave with a smile

tsquini: My Echo 500EVL used to do the same thing. I'd drag the chain reverse on a log to clear it a few times, before inevitably having to remove bar and chain to clean the groove. I thought it was just that particular bar I owned, but maybe more an issue with the way Echo's oilers tie into the bar?

That's a good question, and one from me- do you have an Echo bar, if so what size ? I'm probably going to the shop to get this before I go into work this afternoon. Doing 2nd shift for a few weeks :(

tsquini: My Echo 500EVL used to do the same thing. I'd drag the chain reverse on a log to clear it a few times, before inevitably having to remove bar and chain to clean the groove. I thought it was just that particular bar I owned, but maybe more an issue with the way Echo's oilers tie into the bar?

I used to have to do this with my Poulan

I have a 590. Nice saw, geat power and weight. I would recommend it. There are a few things. I wish it had a trigger lock. For some reason, I have only had this happen with this saw. The bar gets jammed with saw dust locking up the chain. I have adjusted the chain tension, but occonionally it happens I don't know why. The only way to get it I jammed is to remove the chain.
I just got home with the new saw and had to cut a few downed limbs before I came in and responded. I like it, initially. Got the 18" bar with 3 chains. 2 things I learned that might be of help- one, the trigger lock is integrated in the choke. He said pull it all the way out and it locks it WFO. For warm starts, pull it out then bump it in one notch and it is still locked. Secondly, he only ever had 2 saws with the dust/chips binding. He said it was the low kickback chain caused dust to bind at the tip, and when they put a pro chain (thats what he called it, I imagine full chisel? ) it didnt happen any more. Hope this helps, and I need to get some hours on this new one to get a good opinion

Reactions: tsquini
Cool! Yeah, I'd not go bigger than 18" on 60cc, unless you really needed the extra length. It will cut much faster.

On my bar issue, yes it was an Echo bar, and the jamming was always occurring around the sprocket nose. I wasn't so good about always greasing my sprocket noses back then, and I suspect a too-fragile seal was damaged by chip intrusion at some point. I also ran safety chain (Oregon Vanguard 72V) back in those days.

Whatever bar you run, unless a Stihl ES, keep those sprockets greased daily!

Reactions: D8Chumley
I just got home with the new saw and had to cut a few downed limbs before I came in and responded. I like it, initially. Got the 18" bar with 3 chains. 2 things I learned that might be of help- one, the trigger lock is integrated in the choke. He said pull it all the way out and it locks it WFO. For warm starts, pull it out then bump it in one notch and it is still locked. Secondly, he only ever had 2 saws with the dust/chips binding. He said it was the low kickback chain caused dust to bind at the tip, and when they put a pro chain (thats what he called it, I imagine full chisel? ) it didnt happen any more. Hope this helps, and I need to get some hours on this new one to get a good opinion
This is great info. Thanks. I guess I have to try the choke for the trigger lock. I would not have guessed that would be how it would work.

Reactions: D8Chumley