ECO-65 1st impressions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Press and hold the Auger feed button and the + button at the same time. If it does not show the flue temp then your firmware is too old..Maybe they can send you an update SD card..The holes don;t plug up as in solid but so much ash around them causes less combustion air pressure, as proven on my gauge as the draft pressure increases.

Reactions: mudjunkie1972
I like knowing the exhaust temp.

cool will try that hyfire.....is there an easy way to know when the flu is getting dirty as well?....or will the temps tell you when its time to clean it?
Yes, you will start to lose draft when the flue is starting to clog up, however some factors do change the draft like outside temperature, and as the burn pot plugs up you gain draft, as you losing combustion air. For example my stove on a -5c day runs at -.32" w.c. on a.-15C day its -.35" w.c. a plugged burn pot runs about -.38-39 " w.c. A semi plugged flue will run at .-27-29" w.c., You need a gauge that has a good range 0-.5"w.c. is what I;m using. $25 on ebay you cant go wrong...Also the exhaust temp will start to run a bit hotter than normal as the gases are slowed in the stove.

Actually I drilled and tapped another hole beside the fitting for the pressure switch on the heat exchanger across from the exhaust fan., but all you really need to do is put a T fitting in the line to the pressure switch, preferable far as away from the pressure switch as possible, then the gauge is connected to the low pressure port on the gauge, the high pressure port is left open to atmosphere. We had some warmer weather so the suction pressure did drop a bit to .28 w.c even though the flue/stove is clean, so you have to take that into consideration when your checking your readings, and not panic sometimes.

Last edited:
Had an error H a few days ago. Was running the stove on #1. Seems to not like running on one. Ashes clog burn pot, major clinkers and pellets burn in the auger housing. Guessing thats why i got the h code. Not convinced I want it running on a thermostat next season. No ignition. Back to torches. Seems to be tempermental now. Called SBI this morning. Waiting to hear back.Grrrrr...

Had an error H a few days ago. Was running the stove on #1. Seems to not like running on one. Ashes clog burn pot, major clinkers and pellets burn in the auger housing. Guessing thats why i got the h code. Not convinced I want it running on a thermostat next season. No ignition. Back to torches. Seems to be tempermental now. Called SBI this morning. Waiting to hear back.Grrrrr...

I have had none of your issues, the T stat works fine and been 6 months on the factory igniter...The T stat will modulate been low and high setting as it needs to maintain the temp, and not stay on low all the time. You should be OK with the $70 Wifi T stat., do a DAILY cleaning every 24 hours. However I do run the combustion blower on setting 1.

Last edited:
My igniter is cemented in with stove cement, wonder if this is helping, might make it run cooler not sure. I do believe your pressure pump is weak overheating the igniter tell sbi to send a new one...

Hey Hyfire, you are an incredible wealth of info on this stove. Thanks for your help.

Another quick question, well maybe quick... I cleaned fire box area the other day after pretty much running for 48 hours straight for the first time. Pulled the pot out and cleaned it up with a little stainless wire brush I have. Gave a quick brushing around the auger and igniter. Now she wouldn't ignite. Had to light her with a torch. Coincidence or did I do something that would cause it not to light?

I would not be poking anything in the ignitor, its got some fragile little elements in it. It won;t ignite if the hopper lid is ajar slightly, but then the auger would not turn either. Did the pressure pump turn on at about 3 minutes when restarting? It should glow red inside also.Hopefully you did not poke an element inside? You should be taking the baffle out too to dump the ashes above it also, they say once a week, but I like to keep it clean..

By Daily cleaning You mean Vacuum and Wire brush the whole burn chamber? Pull baffle and burn pot? Scrape any chit off the burn pot?

Reactions: Burd
Mr. VIBErator spoke to SBI. Sending ignitor number 6. Wow. Starting to get disappointed. Really. 6 ignitors since November. Hoping they step up....maybe send a tech. Replace the stove. So that's 6 ignitors and one board.

Mr. VIBErator spoke to SBI. Sending ignitor number 6. Wow. Starting to get disappointed. Really. 6 ignitors since November. Hoping they step up....maybe send a tech. Replace the stove. So that's 6 ignitors and one board.

Where did you purchase the stove? I know the Home Hardware that carries them here also have a service tech. What do they have to say? Are they in contact with SBI on your behalf?

We purchased it from BMR and their customer service guy was a fall down. He originally told us to install flex pipe from the stove all the way up chimney. Then he ordered gas stove venting.....so we have been dealing directly with SBI.

Was the board bad, or did they send you a board hoping to fix the ignitor problem? Either way it does suck, been on that end before where everyone else was having a good experience and mine sucked.

How long is your ignition time ? Mine is about 5-6 minutes to flame from intial start up as soon as you press the on button? Maybe its running too long????????? So thats about 3 minutes after the burnpot is filled and ignitor turns on

There was no ignition. The new board didn't make a difference.

VIBErator....The igniter was the first beef I had with my stove as well....installed mt stove last April and had igniter #3 sent to me in January. I didn't even bother to install it yet...been running the stove on the auto pilot on? setting? when it gets to temp...runs on low until it calls for heat again. I use fire gel to light it the first time after a cleaning (which I am doing today) I dont wanna jinx myself but my stove has been way way way better since I had SBI send me a new lower auger feed motor assembly and installed it. Lets hope this stove continues to work this good from now on.

Anyone order the ductwork from SBI and have any umpressions on it? I am planning on installing it to help move some air upstairs in my house....basement is cozy, but I haven't an air exchanger to move the air around in the house.

What happened with the new ignitor? Does it work?
New ignitor works. It heats up red like a stove element. It sticks out into the burn pot. It's ignited a few times. We were using the torch after cleaning. Finally hooked it up to a thermostat over the weekend. It shuts down and refires when called for. We weren't able to trust it before, it wouldn't fire. We have Norbs plenum kit. It's vented through a hole in the basement ceiling that was there when we purchased the house. It keeps 3 floors of the house quite warm and the bedrooms cooler. (I like it cooler and open the bedroom window)

Status
Not open for further replies.