Ecofans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Itslay90

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2022
Upstate,NY
Is it smarter to have a box fan blowing air cross the stove of a wood burning stove. Will it Heat the house up a little faster?“ especially when the Stovetop is up to temperature? What’s your input?

Look up past threads on the topic - Stovetop fans. There are many including a couple this year.

OP I thought that I already recommended a eco fan in a past thread of yours.

Reactions: Itslay90
I have one, and it doesn't do much in my 825 sqft basement.

I have one to my elderly neighbor who is in a small (small, beach cottage) home, and he's over the moon with how much difference it makes.

So, opinions vary. For a larger home eco fans may not do enough, but for a small home it may make a difference.

It didn’t work,
Too bad. The VODA is great for us. Distributes heat well in the stove room which is 900 sq ft. Also heat rises upstairs. I guess you got the answer to your thread since it did not work for you. I suggest buying the factory blower.

Too bad. The VODA is great for us. Distributes heat well in the stove room which is 900 sq ft. Also heat rises upstairs. I guess you got the answer to your thread since it did not work for you. I suggest buying the factory blower.
I rather use a box fan

an airmate above the stove top will make a difference, creating hot air, convection, real movement

point the box fan at the stove sending the cooler air towards it, rather than blow the hot air away from it

Ecofans don't do a great job of moving a lot of air, but they they are very good at accelerating a convection loop which is more important than moving a high volume of air.

Reactions: Gadget
I bought one for my mum for Christmas and the volume of air it pushes is laughable.
Not laughable in our 1,800 sq ft house when downstairs is 78 and upstairs 73 when it’s single digits out.

Reactions: Itslay90
I rather use a box fan
Then why start a thread asking about ecofans?

For some reason, the explanation that heating a very large house with a wood stove out of an uninsulated basement is likely to produce disappointing results is not being accepted. Why is that? A box fan is not going to make a big change in this issue. The problem is heat loss through the basement walls and the total cubic footage needing heat. On the other hand, moving the Summit to the first floor would make a world of difference.

Last edited:
Then why start a thread asking about ecofans?

For some reason, the explanation that heating a very large house with a wood stove out of an uninsulated basement is likely to produce disappointing results is not being accepted. Why is that? A box fan is not going to make a big change in this issue. The problem is heat loss through the basement walls and the total cubic footage needing heat. On the other hand, moving the Summit to the first floor would make a world of difference.
As of right now ! No one wants to tap into the chimney right now because they’re saying it’s too much work… as of the “ basement walls “ I’m going to take care of that in a couple of months.

As of right now ! No one wants to tap into the chimney right now because they’re saying it’s too much work… as of the “ basement walls “
If that is the only issue, and the desire is to have the stove on the main floor where the heat is needed, then find a proper pro to do the work. It's a lazy excuse unless there are serious extenuating circumstances.