Econoburn Receives "H" Stamp Certification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Piker

Minister of Fire
Oct 6, 2008
This just in...

Alternative Fuel Boilers is pleased to announce the addition of “Code Red” ASME Certified Boilers to the Econoburn line. These boilers will meet the requirements set forth by several ‘Code’ States as well as meet the requirements of commercial code applications nation-wide.

These “Code Red” boilers will be available for shipment in March 2009. As these boilers will be going through the rigorous paces of ASME requirements, including individual inspection and stamping by a 3rd party inspection agency, these boilers will be made available on a first come – first served basis for production and will not be inventoried. A 3 to 4 week lead time is anticipated for these specialized units. These boilers will be the same in fit, form, and function as the current Econoburn models but will carry the coveted {H} stamp as evidence to the code inspection officer that these boilers meet the requirements of the National Board of Boiler & Pressure Vessel Inspectors. The initial release of these boilers will be on the 100, 150, and 200 models. The 300, 500, & 1000 will follow in the upcoming months once the engineering drawings and calculations have been approved.

cheers

Sounds good, how much extra is it going to cost to get one of those over the (presumably) otherwise identical unit without the stamp?

Gooserider

I am not sure if I am allowed to post pricing in the open forums...
??
cheers

Hmmm.... I would say that its between you and Econoburn about any deals you might make, but I would say it shouldn't be an issue to talk in terms of ballpark numbers or "MSRP" pricing...

I know you already answered in a PM, but it wouldn't be bad to repeat so that everyone can see how much extra this bit of payola that IMHO doesn't really do anything for our safety costs.

(It would be different if the boilers were made differently for ASME than the standard models, but the only thing I've seen mentioned is that wood gun says some of their models use slightly different materials and welding techniques for the ASME models, not because it's better, but so the inspectors can see that the stays were there....)

Gooserider

Ok then, if a moderator doesn't see this as fit, they can remove it and I will understand.

It looks like the extra cost of the ASME "H" stamp is going to run about $1500 to $1700 on the residential boilers.

It's a testimony to the hard work of the guys at Alternative Fuel Boilers to achieve such a stamp... They don't give these certs out to just anyone. To some consumers it offers peace of mind that these guys really do have their stuff together when it comes to fabricating a high quality boiler. It offers peace of mind to code officials whose concern is the safety of the masses. And it covers the rear ends of the insurance companies who don't want to deal with substandard solid fuel appliances in the homes they insure.

And to others, it will be just a necessary evil to appease the beaurocrats in their local municipalities.

cheers

Now we see why the manufacturers over seas don't want to sell here. We are missing out on tech. because it costs so much for nothing. I was quoted $2000for the stamp on the wood gun. That is just stupid but as long as we let the code idiots have there way we'll pay. I'm sure glad they are looking out for my welfare???????????????????
leaddog

Well, I am trying to keep a moderate tone here regarding regulation and code enforcement. It's a pretty touchy subject depending who you are talking to, and probably not worth getting in to here. Regulation has it's place, but over-regulation sure can kill the market... it suppresses independent thought and ideas by making certifications cost prohibitive... believe me I know... I am going down this road right now with some products I am trying to develop myself. Has anyone actually read any of this code... ASME... NEC... etc etc? It all reads like the IRS tax code. You just have to work through it... or vote to change it if you disagree with it.

cheers

Piker said:
Well, I am trying to keep a moderate tone here regarding regulation and code enforcement. It's a pretty touchy subject depending who you are talking to, and probably not worth getting in to here. Regulation has it's place, but over-regulation sure can kill the market... it suppresses independent thought and ideas by making certifications cost prohibitive... believe me I know... I am going down this road right now with some products I am trying to develop myself. Has anyone actually read any of this code... ASME... NEC... etc etc? It all reads like the IRS tax code. You just have to work through it... or vote to change it if you disagree with it.

cheers

My feeling is that there needs to be a serious level of balancing - I am quite sure that there is very little effective difference between the different testing agencies, in that (with the possible exception of government agency tests) none of them are going to be willing to put their name on a product they feel is inadequate... To the extent that there ARE differences, I suspect that much could be handled by pulling out the differences and either ending them, or working out what minimal additional steps might be needed - For instance German "TUV" certification is some of the toughest in the world - so why make someone go through the entire routine to get ASME, instead of just saying - "equivalent"

However, instead you have multiple agencies, each with their own tests, and each insisting that they have the "one true way" - I remember at my last employer where we had a major battle on how to hook up the electrical supply on a product that we were trying to get both NEBS and UL approval on - each had their own standard, the standards weren't compatible, and it cost the company thousands of dollars in redesigns, proto-types, and attempting to get both agencies to talk to each other and AGREE on how to make this one connection - for which ANY of the proposed solutions would have been massively over built... My understanding is that in the end we ended up getting a special waiver, so it means the next time another product (ours or the competitions) came along, it would be necessary to go through the entire sorry routine again...

If I had the power, I'd say that there ought to be two major changes - one a requirement that certification standards be made public, and that any agency being asked to certify a product already covered by another, require only those tests that are different and more stringent than the existing ones be performed. Secondly require all government agencies accept comparable certifications....

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.