Efel free standing stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Buck 24

Jan 18, 2019
New Jersey
Hey guys. We bought our house about two years ago and it has an old Efel free standing stove in downstairs room. I used the stove the first winter we had but noticed that it needed some tlc. Upon further inspection this thing needs more then a little care. I like the classic stove and would hate to get rid of it mainly because I haven’t seen any new stoves that have a 90 degree rear exhaust for the chimney. Is anyone aware of any stoves that would plug and play for the existing setup? I’ll attach some pics of the inside of the stove and the setup. Is this stove worth having fixed? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 3,007
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 722
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 393
What model Efel? What is the height from the hearth to the top of the flue pipe?

The hearth would need to be extended for front clearance. Is the stove connected to a full liner in the chimney?

Not 100% sure on the model. The height from the hearth to the top of the pipe is approximately 30 inches. This stove is connected to an 8” pipe that goes through my wall and up out of the garage the full length over the roof of two stories. I’m hoping to be able to reuse the existing chimney that’s here and just find a plug and play stove that will fit. I’m wondering if I found a top cent store that just say very low to the ground or I removed the legs from one to make a 90 degree bend and go out the existing chimney.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 426
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 378
Not 100% sure on the model. The height from the hearth to the top of the pipe is approximately 30 inches. This stove is connected to an 8” pipe that goes through my wall and up out of the garage the full length over the roof of two stories. I’m hoping to be able to reuse the existing chimney that’s here and just find a plug and play stove that will fit. I’m wondering if I found a top cent store that just say very low to the ground or I removed the legs from one to make a 90 degree bend and go out the existing chimney.
What is the distance between that chimney and the wooden wall?

I think that is the Efel Kamina. It's a big stove. Is it right sized for the space or did it have a tendency to make you open windows to cool down?

Take a look at the Woodstock Progress Hybrid and their Ideal Steel to get some ideas for options.
www.woodstove.com

FWIW, it might not take a whole lot to raise the chimney assembly a few inches if necessary.

It is about 6 inches from the wall but the outside of the insulated pipe is barely warm to the touch when it’s operating. That concerned me as well when we bought the house. It’s cool enough to maintain spider webs between it and the wall year round.

I think that is the Efel Kamina. It's a big stove. Is it right sized for the space or did it have a tendency to make you open windows to cool down?

Take a look at the Woodstock Progress Hybrid and their Ideal Steel to get some ideas for options.
www.woodstove.com

FWIW, it might not take a whole lot to raise the chimney assembly a few inches if necessary.
The stove is relatively small inside I’m only able to burn approximately 16 inch logs max and only two smaller splits side by side. I have a split level home and this is on the base floor. It heated efficiently to the point where that room it’s in became unbearable to be in but the upstairs was comfortable. It’s a shame the inside is so warped and damaged I don’t feel like replacing the glass and gaskets and such is worth it on this stove simply due to the condition it’s in.

Last edited by a moderator: