EGO chain saw oiler not working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

richmhv

Oct 30, 2014
Shokan NY
I have an EGO 18" chain saw and the automatic oiler is not working. The reservoir is full and the hole seems clear. No oil come out when I run the tool with the bar off. Is there any way to clean out the oiler?

Don't know what and EGO is. dump the oil tank and see if there's any trash in it. Tank has to have a vent to allow the oil to flow make sure it's clear. What oil hole do you mean is clear? The one in the bar? You might be able to use compressed air to clear any lines or vents.

I think he means the hole in the saw.

Could be a piece of gunk. probably not.

Empty the tank. Not really thoroughly. Add a bit of diesel or kerosene, shake the saw to swish it around, try again. If that works...

could be too thick of oil and cooler temps...? We get "winter" and "summer" bar oil here. I tend to use the winter over the summer (it's thinner), even in early fall and into late spring. Newer saws are very stingy on bar oil, even when turned up full (which is how I run all of my newer saws all of the time). I run winter oil year-round in some of them and they still don't empty the tank before the gas, even when turned up all the way.

being a rechargeable electric saw, I am guessing it doesn't get warm enough to even warm the bar oil?

other than your current issue, how do you like that saw? I have an ego string trimmer that seems pretty good so far but has only maybe 30 hours on it at this point.

Try bringing it inside, warm it up, see if it flows. I use motor oil in my electric saw, doesn't clog up. Not sure if it's bad for chain.

It's certainly not tacky like proper bar oil.

bring it in, warm it up. Genius! Why didn't I think of that? Lol.

Reactions: Supersurvey