eko 40 gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bird hunter

Nov 29, 2008
upstate ny
Just as many others on this site, I have been on the verge of revisiting the single life due to a leaky upper door gasket on the eko 40. I have adjusted the door and sealed the bolts and followed all the advise in this forum. Primarily I have raised the price per share of Febreze significantly, call your broker. Yesterday I let the "stinkpot "cool down and added a small bead of rutland rtv silicone to the groove left by the lip of the boiler in the old gasket. I then added a small (3/8") fiberglass rope gasket on top of the silicone. I had to readjust the door to compensate for the thickness of the new gasket. I sealed the ends of the gasket with a small dab of silicone and covered the joint with a piece of paper so as not to stick to the boiler. I closed and latched the door for app. four hours before removing the paper. During this time I added a black tee with a cleanout in the flue pipe. Hopefully this will help mitigate the large amount of ash accumulating in the flue, due in part to the draft inducer. To make a long story short I refired the boiler and twenty four hours later I am on the way to my wifes good graces. Although early in the test phase this is an easy fix for the do-it-yourselfer and much cheaper than a divorce lawyer.

I got the 1 1/4” high density boiler rope from http://www.Patriot-supply.com. Item # 114HDBR . I ordered 5' and had a little left over. Cost more to ship that the product did. It packs in kind of hard but works well after I soaked it with a "dry" lubricant spray. Up until the new gasket I had considered the hi-temp silicone. Glad to hear it works. A place I used to word had teflon tape made for sealing/cutting plastic bags. Thought maybe that would also be a way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.