eko overheat/blown fuse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

taxidermist

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2008
Fowlerville MI
I woke up this morning and went to load the boiler before I left for my 24hr shift day. I opened the door to the barn and saw no power on the boiler,I said UH O well not those exact words!!!!! I checked to see what the temp was and it was around 250 deg. I then fliped my switch to power the pump while the controler is off for freeze protection. I took the fuse out of the controller and headed for the house to fetch my glasses to check and see if it was blown. YEP!!!! BLOWN!!!!! 5:00am no where to get a fuse so tin foil it was, I returned to the barn to find the boiler down to 160 deg I plugged in the fuse and switched over to controller power and loaded the boiler and off to work I went. I called my wife and told her about what happened as this was her first day home tending the boiler, I thought she was going to flip. Oh well now it will have the 4amp fuse in it like some have done here. On to the next issue!

Rob

Taxidermist,

What circulator pump are you running? I was running a Taco 0011, and it blew the 2A fuses on the controller whenever it wanted. I replaced the circulator with a Taco 3 speed variable pump, and even set on high, I haven't had any problems since.

Good to hear there was no damage , she would really flip then !

After reading about this problem here on the forum, I checked my EKO 25 - new in Sept. 2008. The fuse in the controller was a 4A, and the label on the controller had been changed. I guess New Horizon is putting in the correct fuse for North America now before shipping units to the dealer.

boilerman said:
Taxidermist,

What circulator pump are you running? I was running a Taco 0011, and it blew the 2A fuses on the controller whenever it wanted. I replaced the circulator with a Taco 3 speed variable pump, and even set on high, I haven't had any problems since.

I am running a Taco 013 pump

Don't know much about the pumps / boiler except to ask is this a normal 'fast acting' fuse? If so, a person might be able to replace it with a 'slow blow' fuse which would allow for a momentary high inrush current as the pump motor starts up, but maintain the same level of protection during normal operation.

I'm just down the road from you taxidermist and I was a little parinoid on the load of my boiler loop pump doing that to my old controller(250w limit). Used this little gizmo called killawatt and with my grundfos 58 pump on "hi" and the boiler all running it pulls 185 watts total. So far so good...

Status
Not open for further replies.