Electric logsplitter issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all I have 2 little 5 ton splitters both bought used. Both are stored in the shed I brought them to the garage today because one needed a new motor and the other change the oil. I plugged one in and it wouldn't run it just hummed and tripped the breaker. After a few minutes it worked great. The other I installed a new motor and control box and it did the same thing. I don't understand why it was all new.

Cold ?

That's what I thought with the first one. Bit the second one was warm by the time I swapped motors and the new electric motor was in the house so it was warm.

How far away are you from the power source. Extension cords will be cold and most motors need a lot to startup, just like your car ..cold hard to start..

Try closer to an outlet.
I have a compressor that will give me trouble when it's below 60 .. same symptoms ..

Reactions: VirginiaIron
In general how do you like the 5 ton splitters? A gas splitter isn't in my budget, and I didn't think a 5 ton would be worth getting, but I read quite a few reviews and overall they're somewhat positive. Some say they'll split logs up to 18" in diameter, which I'd assume is larger than the specs say they'll do.

I have been impressed with it. I actually have two I bought the both off of Facebook. One needed a new motor one needed a capacitor. One leaks from the handle but both work good and have less than 100 into them. I have split some big stuff. Some times if it won't split it and I have already repositioned it a few times I take a little chunk of something and put it by the wedge so it is only about half way on the log so that way it take the side iff instead of trying to split the whole thing.

The gage of the cord matters considerably, and the length and gage (14?) of the run inside.
Get it close to the panel and on 12gage wire (kitchen?) If you can.
Also, some motors have end switches which centrifically dissengage the start capacitor, if applicable. I have seen these switches rust up and not work properly. Also, if the motor is equipped with a reset swicth (button) sometimes they go bad.

Amazon product ASIN B07QQNF532

Last edited:
If I got an electric one I'd use the receptacle on the house which is in fact somewhat close to the kitchen. I'd be bringing the logs to the splitter, ideally with no extension cord. More hauling of wood, but I know long extension cords can really hinder the performance of an electric splitter.

Everything VI said with a little addition. It wouldn't be the first time I have heard of failing start capacitors

When your splitter is working normally for a half hour or so in a row, check the plug on the splitter cord for heat. Any sign of melt or heat, that you don't want to hold onto, is an indicator of over amperage. I have had a couple of import motors (on machines) that eat capacitors. I have thought of trying a larger cap. but I have not yet. I am not sure what size increase might do to the motor. Electrical is not my strong suit. Many times I have hand started the spin with a pull rope on a step pulley motor but you could loose a finger if you are not careful. I don't recommend it.