Electric power washers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
hey guys - I have a gas powered pressure washer but for various reasons it is inconvenient to use. And it always seems to have a new problem every time I go to use it. I am thinking of getting a less powerful electric pressure washer for the more frequent jobs that come along where I just don't feel like fooling with the gas washer. Any opinions or recommendations? I see Karcher has a couple models, also a few Campbell Hausefield models. I'll probably get a higher powered unit like 1800 PSI.

Thanks!

IMO Karcher is the R.R. of electric power washers.

Chalk up another recommendation for Karcher here. Not exactly sure what model but it was about $150 at walmart or kmart. Been reliable for 3+ years now doing everything from washing the house, driveway and truck.

I've got a Husky 1850 that's seen some abuse - let someone borrow it and they let it freeze with water in it.
A little time on the mill fixed it up and it's still going strong
Definately could use more flow sometimes but it's light and does 90% fine.

The 1850 is the smallest I would go with - I've seen some of the smaller units in action and a hose and nozzle is almost as effective.

Aaron

I can either order a Karcher online (which I want to avoid doing in case I need to return it) or Lowes has a 2000 psi 'Task Force' electric model. I know this Task Force line is Lowes own private label but I feel pretty confident I can take it back if it has an issue. I'll just have to run it through it's paces soon after getting it to ensure it is up to my standards. This is the strongest electric model I've seen. In fact my gas one is rated at only 1850, but it does move a lot more water which I am sure makes a huge difference.

wahoowad said:
I can either order a Karcher online (which I want to avoid doing in case I need to return it) or Lowes has a 2000 psi 'Task Force' electric model. I know this Task Force line is Lowes own private label but I feel pretty confident I can take it back if it has an issue. I'll just have to run it through it's paces soon after getting it to ensure it is up to my standards. This is the strongest electric model I've seen. In fact my gas one is rated at only 1850, but it does move a lot more water which I am sure makes a huge difference.

I just bought this model 2 weeks ago. So far I am very happy with it. It cost me $169. I also am confident about Lowes backing it up. Very easy to move around (moves and shaped like a vacuum cleaner). Did my decks prior to treating, blasted a sandstone foundation prior to stuccoing, cleaned sidewalks, cleaned siding. Very surprised by the power and ease of use. Light weight, compared to gas powered model, makes it easy for anyone to use.

Panhandler - how has your Task Force held up? I never got one, but am thinking about it again with several things needing cleaning.....

wahoowad said:
Panhandler - how has your Task Force held up? I never got one, but am thinking about it again with several things needing cleaning.....

So far, so good. Of course several people have borrowed it, I just got it back last night. So it has been used this summer quite a bit.

Does it work well in general? I worry the higher presure ratings are deceiving. My older gas powered unit put out 1800 psi, but it did so at a higher volume of water. The task force could have 2000 psi but it could be just a high oressure mist and end up dissapointing me. Have you cleaned any concrete with it? Or wooden deck? I also want to use it on my gas grill cast-iron cooking grate. Stuff like that.

I have a Karcher electric, don't know the press or the flow, but the turbo nozzle is what makes it useful to me. Used it the other day to clean off a jeep differential a customer dropped off and it blasted the old dried on gear oil with dirt really well, I got plenty dirty due to the nooks and crannies on a diff, but I like the little pressure washer. A plus, for the lower pressure ones is they won't cut the sidewall of a tire when cleaning them, GM had a bulletin on that a few years back. Seems the prep people where cutting the sidewalls with too much pressure. Lower pressure doesn't cut into the wood on a deck as fast either. A friend lent me his 3500psi with five gpm and it tore up my deck.

wahoowad said:
Does it work well in general? I worry the higher presure ratings are deceiving. My older gas powered unit put out 1800 psi, but it did so at a higher volume of water. The task force could have 2000 psi but it could be just a high oressure mist and end up dissapointing me. Have you cleaned any concrete with it? Or wooden deck? I also want to use it on my gas grill cast-iron cooking grate. Stuff like that.

The first thing I used it on was concrete. It really cleaned it to a white color. I have a lot of old concrete. I did two decks and when I slipped, it took it down much further than I wanted, actually into the wood. The adjustable nozzle goes from a wide spray for washing cars, watering plants, etc., to a straight stream that will scar wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.