Electric shock from exhaust vent pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 15, 2018
Hershey
Hello everyone,

I just got a castle serenity and installed it in place of an old wood stove. I have it vented properly with pellet pipe through the old chimney.

I've had it burning well for a couple of days. Don't know if I trust it enough for when I'm not home but my old drafty stone farmhouse chews through oil faster than my wallet can keep up.

My main concern is that this morning I touched the exhaust pipe about a foot or two before it turns into the wall/crock and received a mild shock. Not a static shock but a constant one (the one that vibrates and leaves part of your hand kind of numb) I have the stove plugged into a 3 prong outlet. Any ideas? Might something be loose and shorting on the exhaust or maybe my outlet isn't wired properly.

Any ideas of what to look for when I get home? Thank you.

I would get a plug tester and start their at your outlets

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

It's called a hot skin. Either your outlet is improperly wired or something is not wired right in your stove.

Reactions: Jhawknseattle
Perhaps your ground and neutral are crossed somewhere in the house wiring. An outlet tester, as already suggested, would probably tell you.

"my old drafty stone farmhouse"
"stove plugged into a 3 prong outlet"

My own old farmhouse had some leftover knob and tube wiring that hadn't been updated and by design is just hot and neutral with no ground. Some of those circuits went 3 prong outlets evidently installed by the previous owner. I recall one or two outlets had hot and neutral swapped. Took me a while, but I corrected it all and got it up to code.

So the OP knows what to look for as a tester.....
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Power-Gear-3-Wire-Receptacle-Tester-50542999/16561511

Lowe's and Home Depot will also have one of these.

If the internal house wiring seems to be correct with the tester, it might be worthwhile to have an electrician take a look at the circuit panel box grounding and also check to see if the incoming neutral from the transformer drop is intact.

Yep, sounds like your wires are mixed up. Get one of those testing devices at HD or Lowes. Easy to check.

You could run a extension cord from a different room and see if that makes a difference

Reactions: moey
You could run a extension cord from a different room and see if that makes a difference

Make sure its on a different breaker. If your downstream of a outlet not wired correctly the problem will follow.

Make sure its on a different breaker. If your downstream of a outlet not wired correctly the problem will follow.

Well my grandpa always said he was no electrician... and he did a lot of diy. Granted he was a builder but....
No knob and tube at least. I checked the ground at the outlet and took apart the stove looking for a short. Found nothing. Plugged into a different outlet in the same room (will try one on a different breaker tonight) and all seemed well. No shocks at all all last night from 6pm until 1am. Touched the pipe this morning at 7am when filling the hopper and felt the current again.

Also there was a nice white jet like flame the past couple days but last night the flame was sloppy and orange. It created a lot of soot all over the burn box and didnt seem to burn all of the pellets well. Same pellets, same settings, but there was more wind last night.

Do you get zapped when touching the stove or just the pipe..or both . If just the pipe. then run a wire from the stove frame to the pipe. If not, then as mentioned above house wiring needs to be checked,,