Electric water heater question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnh

May 3, 2014
seacoast-nh
Hello,
I had an electric water heater installed 2 months ago. The manual states the following:

NOTE: It is not necessary to adjust the upper thermostat.
However, if it is adjusted above the factory set point of 120°F
(49°C), it is recommended that it not be set higher than the lower
thermostat setting.

Why is this? Is it because the upper will take over and be on more than it should? Thanks,

John

During long idle periods you want the bottom element doing the heating so that more of the tank contains hot water? It really shouldn't matter. I just installed a new one and checked output temp at the tap. As long as that is near 120 and lasts long enough then the only other thing to check for is leaks.

Hello,
I had an electric water heater installed 2 months ago. The manual states the following:

NOTE: It is not necessary to adjust the upper thermostat.
However, if it is adjusted above the factory set point of 120°F
(49°C), it is recommended that it not be set higher than the lower
thermostat setting.

Why is this? Is it because the upper will take over and be on more than it should? Thanks,

John

Water being warmed at the bottom will create a convection current and keep the tank at a more even temperature.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Water being warmed at the bottom will create a convection current and keep the tank at a more even temperature.

+1. Candidly, I despise electric water heaters. More expensive to operate than gaseous fueled units. In my case we have one but it has it's own seperate meter and substantially reduced rate so it's actually viable.

+1. Candidly, I despise electric water heaters. More expensive to operate than gaseous fueled units. In my case we have one but it has it's own seperate meter and substantially reduced rate so it's actually viable.

That is location and fuel specific. I don't have NG available and a btu of LPG costs more than a btu of electric.

That is location and fuel specific. I don't have NG available and a btu of LPG costs more than a btu of electric.

DTEnergy offered the dual rate program years ago (about 30) and we jumped on it then). I don't believe it's offered anymore and there are disadvantages to it, like the ability of the utility to interrupt power during peak periods (though it's never been an issue) and, of course, the intrusion of a remote monitored meter (we had it before it became mainhstream) that I never pay any attention to......

No NG here either. Propane or electron movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.