Electrical / Fan Issue on Heat N Glo SL-750TR-D

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

smoyer85

Oct 11, 2019
PA
I have a Heat N Glo SL-750TR-D Propane fireplace produced around 2004. I am having an ongoing issue where the fan will not turn on when the fireplace gets up to temp. Eventually the fireplace shuts down on its own after approx. 10 minutes; I assume because it gets too hot. I've replaced the thermopile thinking that is a common issue, but that didn't change anything. I've replaced the temp sensor switch, but still can't get the fan to turn on. I've changed nothing else, and it used to work fine. So I know everything is hooked up correctly. I've unplugged the fan from the Junction Box and plugged it directly into an outlet, and the fan works fine. The Junction box also has power so I doubt its that. My next thought is the wiring or the Rheostat. Both seem fine though. Wiring seems perfectly okay. Rheostat acts normally but it could be that, I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

1. Is the thermodisk in SOLID contact with the fireplace body? A small gap will cause it to work erratically.
2. If your burner shuts down, & the pilot stays lit, the thermoPILE may be bad. The ThermoCOUPLE controls the pilot side.
3. Have you taken any readings on the thermoPILE with a multimeter?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply!

1. As far as I can tell the thermodisk is in solid contact. I replaced it with a new one, but yes it is screwed in as tightly as possible using the original screw and plate. Can't see or feel any gap.
2. I've already just replaced the thermopile. That's the very first thing I did. Pilot will light and stay lit. Only goes out after it overheats. (about 10 minutes)
3. I have not taken any readings, I don't own a multimeter. The pilot stays lit, and the fireplace lights up like normal. It just goes out because the fan won't kick on. The fan works when I plug it in a separate outlet however.

Thank you!

Sorry if I answer this in 2 ways because I'm not sure what you mean exactly. The junction box is "cold" to the touch. (I don't think you mean that though). I unplugged the fan from the junction box and plugged in a small lamp, and yes there is power to the junction box. Hopefully I answered your question correctly.

Yes. By HOT I meant is there power in the box...
If you CAREFULLY remove the wires from the snap disk
& run a jumper wire between the connectors, does the blower come on?

Okay definitely found something here.

I did what you said and ran a jumper wire between the 2 wires plugging into the temp sensor. I can immediately hear the fan trying to kick on, like a humming. But it does not kick on. I tried it a 2nd time, and the same thing happened. Almost like there's not enough power, or the fan is struggling. You can hear a hum, but it never starts spinning.

That being said, if I plug the fan in directly to another outlet, it works just fine. Seems like maybe a junction box problem to me. But I'm no expert. What are your thoughts? Thanks again for all the help!

Ok thank you for all your help. I can't do that but I will get someone who can. I appreciate your time thanks again!

Reactions: DAKSY