Eletrical Usage Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Our electricity bill went up $120 this month and we're trying to figure out why. We are new burners and my first thought was the blower but that seems extreme. I've found some threads in this topic but I'm having trouble finding information on my particular model and wanted to run my math by you guys.

I have an Osburm 1600 insert with a blower. The blower has no information on it regarding its power consumption and I cant seem to find any info online. Ive seen a lot of other models that are in the 1-1.5 amp and 120v range. So I figure if I estimate 200 watts that's a safe bet (1.5 amp x 120v = 180 watts so round up).

If I run it 24 hours a day 200 watts x 24 hours = 4,800 / 1000 = 4.8 kWh x 30 days = 144 x $0.22/kWh = $31.68 a month. This calculation would be on high too...and I almost always have it on low.

I also run a Honeywell tower fan to help distribute the heat. Thats approx 40 watts so same equation is $6.34 a month.

So the maximum total cost of running the stove a month is $31.68 + $6.34 = $38.02

Am I missing anything? I feel like my numbers are right so there must be something else going on.

Thanks!

Yes. I forgot to mention those.

There's about 4 strands of the classic tiny bulb multi colored lights and one white. I figured those were approx 40 watts each so 40 x 5 = 200 watts, similar to the stove blower. Maybe $30 a month. So stove + lights = about $70 a month if run 24/7. Still missing $50.

Is it possible those could be drawing more for some reason? Or that the snow is somehow messing with them? They are plugged into outdoor outlets. Maybe my estimate is wrong. I didnt think they'd cost THAT much to run. Hmm....

There's no way my blower uses more than 200 watts, right? That would be very high for a fan...especially on low 90% of the time.

Last edited:
All the house lights have to be on longer due to the shorter days. The hot water heater has to run longer due to colder incoming water. Does the primary heating system come on at all? Are people taking longer showers?

Reactions: SpaceBus
We're a family of 4 with the kids only being 5 and 3 so the bathing time is pretty standard. They get the usual and we get whatever we can whenever we can lol.

The primary heat system is a heat pump with auxiliary electric heat. The main reason I decided to go wood was to avoid using it. Ive had it set to 60 since its been cold and I've never seen the thermostat go below 62. With the stove running on a cold day it's usually 68-72 in the far rooms and 72-78 close by.

The lights are all LED inside so those don't concern me much but thats interesting about the water heater...that never crossed my mind. We just had it replaced about 3 months ago. Its just a basic AO Smith model, nothing fancy. But it is fairly cold in the basement as the stove is on the first floor. Maybe its chugging to keep the water warm? We have a well so its definitely cold water.

Our electricity bill went up $120 this month and we're trying to figure out why. We are new burners and my first thought was the blower but that seems extreme. I've found some threads in this topic but I'm having trouble finding information on my particular model and wanted to run my math by you guys.

I have an Osburm 1600 insert with a blower. The blower has no information on it regarding its power consumption and I cant seem to find any info online. Ive seen a lot of other models that are in the 1-1.5 amp and 120v range. So I figure if I estimate 200 watts that's a safe bet (1.5 amp x 120v = 180 watts so round up).

If I run it 24 hours a day 200 watts x 24 hours = 4,800 / 1000 = 4.8 kWh x 30 days = 144 x $0.22/kWh = $31.68 a month. This calculation would be on high too...and I almost always have it on low.

I also run a Honeywell tower fan to help distribute the heat. Thats approx 40 watts so same equation is $6.34 a month.

So the maximum total cost of running the stove a month is $31.68 + $6.34 = $38.02

Am I missing anything? I feel like my numbers are right so there must be something else going on.

Thanks!

I think your math is correct, so there might be something else going on in the house. Do you have any electric baseboard heaters, maybe in a bedroom that is unused that might be coming on because of the cold weather? Do you have a mini split? An old dehumidifier in a basement or crawlspace that is failing could be a culprit?

I am in the process of installing my Osburn 3500 insert and I'm not sure if the blower is the same model as yours. I have an energy consumption monitoring device installed on my electric panel called Curb that allows me to see real-time energy usage in my house. If your blower is the same as mine, I could plug in my blower and measure the electric usage and tell you how much energy it uses. Does your blower have a model number on it?

Its actually pretty remarkable that it has no markings. I've found it online though here:

Even for your larger stove I cant imagine it's more than 200 watts.

So my basement is unfinished. I just went down there for some wood and its about 50 degrees down there right now. Doesn't seem abnormal for the winter and the new water heater should have good insulation.

I have an ecobee thermostat that I use for the heat pump. I just have it set to 60 (using the average temps of the far rooms in the house in relation to the stove) in case of emergency but like I've said I've never seen it dip past 62. Maybe there's a thermostat on the unit itself somewhere that kicks it on? That would be strange. The basement shouldn't require heat.

No other forms of heat in the house that I know of. Just the stove and heat pump/coils. We do have a dehumidifier downstairs but its a small unit and doesn't need to run often.

The blower more than likely uses about 80-100w.

Its actually pretty remarkable that it has no markings. I've found it online though here:

Even for your larger stove I cant imagine it's more than 200 watts.

So my basement is unfinished. I just went down there for some wood and its about 50 degrees down there right now. Doesn't seem abnormal for the winter and the new water heater should have good insulation.

I have an ecobee thermostat that I use for the heat pump. I just have it set to 60 (using the average temps of the far rooms in the house in relation to the stove) in case of emergency but like I've said I've never seen it dip past 62. Maybe there's a thermostat on the unit itself somewhere that kicks it on? That would be strange. The basement shouldn't require heat.

No other forms of heat in the house that I know of. Just the stove and heat pump/coils. We do have a dehumidifier downstairs but its a small unit and doesn't need to run often.

Looks like my stove uses a 144 CFM blower with a different model number. Just for giggles, I'll try plugging it in tomorrow and see what it uses, but I suspect @begreen is right. It's probably in the 80-100W range

Gordon up all night watching animal planet

Definitely no HRV here. It's just an older Trane XR-13 heat pump that runs on R22 (ugh) with resistance coil backup.

Can't wait to replace the ENTIRE SYSTEM when it breaks to R410a. Lol. :rolleyes:

Gordon up all night watching animal planet

Nope he's passed out on the floor in the stove room! He'll be crushing my legs soon lol.

20201221_222602.jpg

Reactions: marty319
Gordon is relaxed about 23 hours of the day. The food bill isn't pretty but he's the best dog. He's got another 30-50 lbs or so more to grow. Maybe I'll start selling dog rides to pay the electric bill.

This is his tired face. I think it describes how all us parents feel during the pandemic pretty accurately lol.

20201221_120405.jpg

Thats quite the pooch.....no circ pump or anything? You will find the culprit. My guess is thats its something that uses electricity....:) but its something drawing a fair bit. Or the utility company never actually read the meter till this month and played catch up on you?

It must be something heat-related. Nothing else uses that much electricity. Well, and electric cars. You don’t have an electric car do you? I probably use about double electricity for my car in the winter. I’ll bet it’s the electric backup in your heat pump though. That would easily account for the huge increase, and you probably wouldn’t notice if it were running.

Perhaps the ignitor on your stove is staying on? I think they are about 150-200 watts. Too late in the night for me to do math.

If you have a well, maybe the motor is running excessively, due to a leak.

Hmm. Electric stove but it seems to be working properly. No electric car.

I do have well, thats an interesting idea. I dont hear anything running in the basement but maybe the pump itself. Thats an interesting idea. We haven't had any water issues though outside of the new water heater recently. Ill take a peak at the pressure today and see.

The resistance heater back up for the heat pump make the most sense. I just dont understand why they would be coming on. Its hasn't dipped below the thermostat setting once since I started burning this year. Closest its ever been is 2 degrees. I decided to turn the system off completely and see if that makes a difference. If it does maybe I gotta get the HVAV guy out here to see why it would kick on incorrectly.

Last edited:
Could the heat pump be kicking on in a defrost mode? We have had cold temps and snow lately. This is my first home with a heat pump actually so im still fairly new to it, only been here 8 months now. If thats the case I am not sure what's even doable about it.

Do you have a way to monitor (near) real-time usage. They just changed us out to smart meters. I haven’t logged in to set up my account but I keep meaning too. Any heating tape around pipes that has a thermostat?

Does your bill show you actual kilowatts used per day?
How does that compare to past usage?
Electric companies in some parts can have swings in the fuel charge. They can also add fees for potential weather expenses or fees to recoup expenses. Thing like that will effect your dollars even though your useage is normal.

No funny charges. Its just a raw spike in kWh:

April - 1230 kWh
May - 1109
June - 1043
July - 1582
Aug - 1682
Sept - 1553
Oct - 1315
Nov - 1543
Dec - 1980

We moved in in April and here is our usage since then. Keep in mind the house is fully electric, we have a well, and two kids under 6 so there is heavy water usage.

That said the July, Aug, Sept and part of Oct increases make sense. We run the AC to 75 for the dog and there are always "hot" spells here...lots of 80+ and more and more 90+ days each year. So I get those numbers.

What I dont get is why my bill is going up in Nov and Dec. I burn basically 24/7 for heat. I keep it right around 70-72 inside with the heat pump set to 60 in case of emergency. The lowest its ever been inside is 62 when I wake up in the morning. I turned the pump/coils on once in Nov to make sure they still worked and they did.

So in Nov I got a bill that was similar to running the pump FULL TIME in the summer for AC and this bill I got yesterday is a whopping 400 kWh higher. The only thing I could think of is the resistance heat is coming on somehow to either defrost the outside unit or its just broken. I cant imagine anything else using so much power. My wife and I were expecting lower bills...more like 1200 kWh ish since we burn 24/7. Needless to say we aren't happy.

Im debating just calling the HVAC guy. The well seems to be operating fine. I dont know of any heat tape, most pipes are exposed downstairs its an open basement. I cant think of anything else that would use 437 kWh...

Last edited:
I’m laying a dollar down on the heat pump being the jerk here.