Elmira 1200 catalyst question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thailand

Nov 1, 2022
Montco
Hello all.
Been lurking for awhile, but couldn't seem to find an answer to my question. There is a wealth of info here, so I know you guys and gals know better than I do.
I just recently bought a home, with a wood stove in the basement. Through some deductive reasoning, and lots of research, it looks like its a Elmira Stove Works 1200. It would've been nice if the label had just said that, haha. Luckily, it looks like the previous homeowner had a new flue, damper, and chimney installed while the home was on the market.
So my question pertains to the catalyst. When I take the cover off, there is a removable, heavy gauge "basket" with mesh at the bottom. With my trusty caliper, it seems that 5x2x2 catalysts can fit into the 4 slots. Question is, do I need to buy a brand with gaskets installed, or will the bare catalyst be ok, since it goes into that "basket"?
Unfortunately, there was nothing already installed to go by, and the manual is...not the best. Not to mention the stove is so old, there isn't much support help out there. If I overlooked the answer in a previous post, I apologize.
I appreciate you looking, and I'm open to any questions. Thanks!

Reactions: Graphite
Just to update, I did order the combustors with the gaskets, since there was some room to fill, and the gaskets are supposed to expand with the heat. For future searches, 5x2x2 CC-216 catalytic combustors from Condor do fit an Elmira Stove Works 1200. Need 4.

I did my first test run last night, and I will say that this stove kept the house comfortable for a good 7-8 hours. I can't complain about that.

My next process is to figure out how to better understand when light-off occurs. I am looking into a cat probe thermometer, but I'm not too crazy about having to drill into my stove top. I'll keep experimenting with the stove pipe thermo, and see if I can get a bead with that.

Wow, that's a lot of cats. What year is this stove? Can you post some pictures of it?

Oh yeah. They're small, only 5"x2"x2", but there are 4 on them.
The stove looks like its from June 1985, but the imprint on the tag is long gone.
The "basket" I was referring to in my last post holds 2 cats each, and installs from the inside of the firebox, behind 2 doors on the sides.
Pardon the pics...its very dirty! But I will tell ya, this thing kicks heat.
Any tips or tricks appreciated!

20221109_170643.jpg 20221109_170727.jpg

If the stove was made in 1985 it was ahead of its competition. I'm glad it has served you well. I found manual for an Elmira 1200, that's why I asked. Here's a link:

Appreciate it begreen. Its a nice stove, and pretty easy to operate. I had a copy of the manual, but of course, it had old, outdated part numbers that don't exist anymore. That's to be expected though. Elmira also got out of the stove game a long time ago, so their customer service for it is pretty non-existent.
I'm sure I'll have more questions as I use it. Thanks again for the help and the manual. Its a much better and clearer copy than the one I have.

I have an Elmira 1100 - 6" pipe... The cats are singles about 7"x2" Since your post I have found that Condar do still do these 👍 - but I am trying the cleaning with vinegar thing first...