empyre pro series/greenwood aspen or e-classic 1400?? opinions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While there may never have been a fire from a inside gaser as one kinda spoke of. Try telling that to the insurance companys . They do not want to hear it. They dont care its a wood burning device in the home. I have heard from people having to find new insurance company's because of inside wood burners. I had to change company's because of this also. I have had the same stove for 17 yrs. They never looked at it. Just sent a cancel notice

shagy said:
While there may never have been a fire from a inside gaser as one kinda spoke of. Try telling that to the insurance companys . They do not want to hear it. They dont care its a wood burning device in the home. I have heard from people having to find new insurance company's because of inside wood burners. I had to change company's because of this also. I have had the same stove for 17 yrs. They never looked at it. Just sent a cancel notice

Each ins company is different, as each state's reg's. But my ins co had more of a problem in putting my boiler in an unattached garage versus putting it in the basement of my house. Less hoops to jump thru to put it in the basement.

My gasser is far cooler on its surfaces than is the wood stove in my house, which has been there (same stove) for 20 years. The gasser black steel pipe chimney (to Class A at the ceiling) also is cooler on the outside than the black steel pipe chimney on the wood stove. The gasser chimney itself collects a slight coating of dusty ash over each burning season, and gets cleaned annually; the wood stove collects a layer of about 1/8" +- of black, flaky material, does not stick to the chimney surface, and is easily brushed out on its one annual cleaning. The gasser kicks out less smoke on average when the firebox door is opened, and no smoke if I let it burn down to low coals; the wood stove almost always kicks out just a slight whiff of smoke when the door is opened to refuel. The gasser, rated at 140,000 btu/h, uses more wood than the wood stove, rated at 35,000 btu/h, so there are more falling bark pieces on the floor than there is from splits used to load the wood stove. I believe the chance of a fire from the gasser is far less than from the wood stove.

End result: new shop building, now built; waiting for concrete and in-floor radiant with unit heater supplement -- the gasser will be installed inside, along with its 1000 gallon pressurized storage tank. The shop building will have solid wood, pine paneling, on the bottom 8' of the walls and will be a tinder box; our house is a tinder box, stick frame; pine, birch, and aspen paneling throughout; cedar shingles; cedar siding.

No fear -- too many fear mongers everywhere else.

I found this on an insurance sight about OWB.

First Party Fire Exposure

The National Fire Protection Association does not capture information or statistics regarding home fires caused specifically by the use of OWBs. An Internet search, however, revealed an anecdote of a house burning down in Maine due to the owner's use of an OWB. The fire started when ashes "fell out" of the unit and set fire to the woodpile, which was piled too close to the residence.

the article was in here.
http://www.aaisonline.com/articles/topics_owb.html

There also seems to be a major concern about frozen pipes due to OWB .

So me and others I know that have had people that have insurance company's give them greif for inside boilers and wood stoves are a rare thing? We would have more problems with ins company's if we were doing a outdoor or putting a inside gaser in a out building? PLEASE !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.