Emulsion paint causing fumes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warrenh

May 7, 2016
yorkshire
Hi, we had a stove fitted 6 months ago which has never stopped giving off a chemical type odour when up to a decent temperature. At first i put this down to the paint on the stove curing but surely that can't be the issue after so long. If anything the smell seems to come from the fire board, painted with emulsion, lining the fire place when it gets hot to the touch.
When i contacted the people who fitted the stove they said the emulsion was definitely to blame & heat resistant paint should have been used. However after a lot of google searching i can't find any instances of emulsion paint causing odour issues & got the impression i was being fobbed off.
Question is are they correct?

Greetings. Paint needs to bake it at over 450ºF. If normally the stove is being run at lower temps the paint may not have broken in. What is emulsion paint? Was this a repainted stove?

What stove model is this and what is the maximum sustained temperature that it has run at? Sometimes the installer uses the wrong sealant, like a silicone product, around the flue collar. That can be another source of fumes. Or it is possible that the paint formulation was incorrect for use on a heating appliance.

I believe it's what we call latex here...

Thanks Sprinter.

Use a high temperature paint intended for use on wood stoves. If latex paint was used the on fireboard will need to be stripped and then repainted with a proper stove paint.

If anything the smell seems to come from the fire board, painted with emulsion, lining the fire place when it gets hot to the touch.
So this sounds like an insert with the fireplace interior lined with some kind of fire resistant board, and painted? Or is the fire board exterior to the fireplace? I'm not sure I understand the situation. But if it's inside the fireplace, it's got to go.

How do you read this, bg?

Might be a freestander in the fireplace. That is common in the UK. Waiting to hear back from the OP.

Reactions: Sprinter
Greetings. Paint needs to bake it at over 450ºF. If normally the stove is being run at lower temps the paint may not have broken in. What is emulsion paint? Was this a repainted stove?

What stove model is this and what is the maximum sustained temperature that it has run at? Sometimes the installer uses the wrong sealant, like a silicone product, around the flue collar. That can be another source of fumes. Or it is possible that the paint formulation was incorrect for use on a heating appliance.
Might be a freestander in the fireplace. That is common in the UK. Waiting to hear back from the OP.
Thanks for the quick response.
It's a brand new freestanding stove ( an Ekol Crystal 5 ) in the fireplace & the fireplace is lined with heat resistant fire board rather than bricks or tiles. It was fitted by a qualified installer so hopefully there shouldn't be any issues with incorrect materials being used.
Sounds like i need to invest in a stove thermometer & some paint stripper!

I hope we helped. I will have to assume that the fireboard is properly rated for your application. If you need the liner to be painted, then yes, get a proper paint for the purpose. I hope not, but you may consider replacing the liners altogether depending on how successful the stripping goes.

Those kinds of paints (I'm not sure what to ask for there) will give off a smell for a while as it cures, but will dissipate after a while.

A stove thermometer is a good idea in any case... (I insist on it here lol.) Good luck and keep in touch here.

Last edited:
It's a brand new freestanding stove ( an Ekol Crystal 5 ) in the fireplace & the fireplace is lined with heat resistant fire board rather than bricks or tiles.
Ekol-Crystal-5-Multi-Fuel-DEFRA-Stove_A_SS-1.jpg

Around these parts just because a stove was fitted by a 'qualified installer' is no guarantee everything was done correctly. If you are smelling fumes six months later? I know of no one who would hire the install company that says up front 'you'll smell fumes into house for the next half a year after we take your money'. Also if when you approached the original installer and they seem to be blowing you off? I'd get a second qualified opinion. Get a MSDS sheet on the paint used too. What if you're sucking toxic fumes?

Status
Not open for further replies.