Enclose Entereprise Savoy 54D into bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tohonu

Mar 4, 2024
Quebec, Canada
Good afternoon,

I just bought an old house and a Savoy 54D was included. Working fine, all functional (at least it is heating this old 1900 house) even if I do not know yet how to made the oven work properly to be able to cook with it.

My question is more related to : can we remove the siding (enameled steel ? ) and have the then naked structure surrounded by bricks on the side and back ? I would love to enclose it in bricks as picture. BUT, is it safe ? will it act like a thermal mass ?

I will not modify the physical structure of the stove or its functionalities. Realistic ? COns and Pros ?

Thank you for the answers. have a good day.

cook stove in bricks.jpg

It sounds dubious. My concern, beside proper clearances and heat transfer through the brick would be that the brick may soak up too much heat causing uneven baking. A layer of micore would help insulate it from the bricks.

Thank you. I will take a look on the stove once the winter over. I will remove the sides and front, also the top as I need to check the good -- or not good -- health of the inside. Perhaps this will end with embedding the stove in a brick cladding only to make something more "country style".