Encore 1450 nc rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mattocks

Apr 22, 2021
Vermont
Hi all,

I inherited an Encore 1450 nc with the home I purchased. I burnt daily from December to March without any real problem. I did notice that the corners were broke off on my shoe refractory and left in place broken. It didn't seem to be causing any real issues. Finally I poked one to hard and it crumbled. I decided to rebuild the unit which included the fountain, lower refractory, shoe refractory, damper housing and damper. I changed the door, glass, griddle, flue collar, lower refractory, and shoe refractory gaskets. The only gasket I didn't replace was on the ash tray door. It seemed in decent shape.

The fountain was completely destroyed and came out in pieces. Both refractories were damaged and/or cracked.

I finished the rebuild a few days ago and today was my first burn. I noticed with the flue closed that the coals at the back by the shoe refractory burn quite bright. There appears to be an air jet or stream coming in at both corners of the shoe refractory. Is this normal or am I leaking somewhere?

The fountain and both refractories were in bad shape when I replaced them. I don't think I have ever seen the stove burn properly so I'm not sure what to expect.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

tempImagePTCLXp.png

I'm not familiar with this exact model but that's what my new encore looks like if I don't get the ash pan door seated correctly. I don't think there's supposed to be any air coming in below the grate.

This is a modern, EPA VC stove. Moving thread to main forum. Might check here too: