Encore 2550 - Use Without Cat and Refractory?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pressroll

Mar 4, 2023
Central, PA
I was given an Encore 2550 but it needs a fair amount of work. The cat and refractory are trashed and I was wondering if I can just leave them out and run it like a non cat stove? I would install a pipe damper.

I do not have the money right now to put into new parts so that is not an option.

Thanks!

Definitely not. It would run very poorly sending most heat up the flue and likely warp components.

Mine is an old Encore. I've run it without using the cat for a few years in the past. Burns more wood, gets much hotter and makes the chimney dirty. you have to really keep up with cleaning the chimney as you'll be damping it down to control the heat.

Mine is an old Encore. I've run it without using the cat for a few years in the past. Burns more wood, gets much hotter and makes the chimney dirty. you have to really keep up with cleaning the chimney as you'll be damping it down to control the heat.
If it's a 2n1 Encore this can be done, but not without the refractory package in place.

I havent priced it all out but you could do a complete rebuild for under a K... If the stove was free.. do the rebuild this summer.. right now work on getting wood to put in it for next winter.. Good seasoned wood will make your experience better and stove run way better. Your house will be warm.. many on here have cut their heating bills way back.. There are a number of people like myself that have no heating bill at all and the inside of the house is in the 70s.. get wood and set yourself up for success.. Most if not all parts will be on amazon.. your refractory is below

Screenshot_20230305-182606_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Pressroll
Woodsplitter67, thank you for the great advice! I am halfway through the 2022/23 VC Owner Thread and there is a ton of great info in there. Here are my takaways:

1. I need to get the stove back to factory specs.
2. I will absolutely get a cat thermometer to monitor the temps.
3. I need to make sure my wood is seasoned properly.
4. I cannot get mad at the stove. It is what it is. I like to tinker with things so there is a certain appeal that I find oddly drawn in by.

At this point I am focused on getting wood ready for next winter and also the following winter. I will then spend the summer going over the stove to get it rebuilt and ready.

You guys are great. Keep up the good work!

Woodsplitter67, thank you for the great advice! I am halfway through the 2022/23 VC Owner Thread and there is a ton of great info in there. Here are my takaways:

1. I need to get the stove back to factory specs.
2. I will absolutely get a cat thermometer to monitor the temps.
3. I need to make sure my wood is seasoned properly.
4. I cannot get mad at the stove. It is what it is. I like to tinker with things so there is a certain appeal that I find oddly drawn in by.

At this point I am focused on getting wood ready for next winter and also the following winter. I will then spend the summer going over the stove to get it rebuilt and ready.

You guys are great. Keep up the good work!

I dont know what species of wood your going for.. if oak.. plan on the for fall of 24.. dont split to thick.. otheres like beach cherry, poplar, pine, the majority of maples will dry in a year... what you want to burn this fall.. will need to be split and stacked by mid to late april .. you can look in my signature.. there are links to build solar kilns.. it will dry any hardwood to sub 20%mc in a summer.. even thick splits will be seasoned.. just a thought

Hey @Pressroll how's your rebuild coming? As the proud owner of an Encore 2550 myself who's tackled the refractory replacement operation I'd be curious to see how it went for you.

In my experience this is a fantastic stove and once you get to know each other she'll run like a clock.