encouragement for wood splitters,what is your 1/8th split worth.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eernest4

Hearth Supporter
Oct 22, 2007
ct
netzero.com
I was at shop rite yesterday & noticed that they were selling 3/4 cubic foot of wood splits for $3.33
These are like 1/8th splits; 18 inch long & 2&1;/2" thick x 3&1;/2"wide, packaged 8 to a bundle.

So, every 1/8 split you make is worth 42 cents.

Ca--ching, Ka-ching,ka-ching goes the cash register in your head as you crank out splits.

:cheese: :) :lol:

eernest4 said:
I was at shop rite yesterday & noticed that they were selling 3/4 cubic foot of wood splits for $3.33
These are like 1/8th splits; 18 inch long & 2&1;/2" thick x 3&1;/2"wide, packaged 8 to a bundle.

So, every 1/8 split you make is worth 42 cents.

Ca--ching, Ka-ching,ka-ching goes the cash register in your head as you crank out splits.

:cheese: :) :lol:

For even more amusement, figure the cost per cord on those little bundles - there are 128 cubic feet per cord, so 0.75 ft^3 per bundle means 160 bundles per cord... $3.33 x 160 = $532.80 / cord :bug:

(And that isn't a bad price for the bundles, I've seen the local grocery store having them on "sale" for $4.99 = $798.40 / cord)

I guess it must be the plastic shrink wrapping...

Gooserider

Around town I have tried to get in on this deal, but people have had their suppliers for quite some time and did not want to fool with some newbie, even if he was allot cheaper. Kroger/Meijer are selling barky pieces of cuts/splits for 4.99 a piece.

Some people just burn their FPs for special occasions, nothing wrong with that instead of collecting wood... they are working to go pay that ca-ching, ca-ching for their special occassion.

We live in a area that has many weekend campers, we have often thought about putting out some bundles 'For Sale $5.00'!!!! I bet if we did we would collect enough for a new chain saw.. then a hydraulic wood splitter.. then we would have to get a bucket truck and a dump truck.. a skidder would come next... OMG.. NO.. Not That!!!

I think we should worry when you have to buy our oil at Wally World... we count ourselves lucky!

Those bundles our here are $5.99

or

You could buy .8 cuft of hardwood for $6.99

Oh, I agree there is nothing "wrong" with getting wood in those little bundles if you only burn on special occasions. I'm just amused at the high cost.... Even my GF's brother does sort of like that - thinks he's getting a good deal for a "trunk-load" of wood, for $20, that I would describe as mostly green - certainly nothing I'd put in my stove.

And I see no downside in doing a self service roadside stand for the weekend campers - seems like a good way to support the "outdoor power fund" :coolgrin:

My friend in the wood business has a self service rack near his house that he built out of cinder blocks and 2 x ? stock, each shelf is about 3 blocks high by about the same wide - I think there are about 30 or 40 sections - self service, $10/ a section, I think he said it holds about 1 cord in total. He says that it gets emptied about twice a week during the winter...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.