End of 2013/2014 season... how much did you use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on pace to burn 3.5 - 4 cords a little more than normal. About a months ago I started stretching out my burns and letting the house stay around 70 instead of 75. I don't know if I'm "saving" any wood. The rest of the family noticed almost instantly the temperature difference.

3 degrees at 8 am in the north east corner of PA . Well over a foot of snow on the ground. There's a lot of winter to go for us. I normally burn to the end of May. I use about 3 cords a year doing weekend burns.

1 3/4 cords burned so far, not bad for this brutal Winter. I figure on burning 3+ if this weather continues.

I started stretching out my burns and letting the house stay around 70 instead of 75. I don't know if I'm "saving" any wood. The rest of the family noticed almost instantly the temperature difference.
You are. Convert average indoor and outdoor temps to Kelvin, and compare the ratio of 75 minus avg outdoor, versus 70 minus avg outdoor. That's how much more wood you'd need for 75 vs 70F.

Reactions: tsquini
I`m in my 5th cord so far this year, with 8 more weeks of cold weather for us up here in Québec. Thankfully, températures are in the 20`s and 30`s this week, so it`s a nice change from the -30`s. I`m also changing my habit by stretching the supply and keeping the house at 70-71 instead of hotter. I`m also playing around with my fans to see how to get the hot air from the basement, where the stove is, to the first floor.

Starting on our 3d cord here. Maybe 1/3 of the way through it. Still burning 24/7. Once that is gone the shed is empty and I am not wanting to burn the outdoor stacks until next season. At this rate we'll be burning electrons in early spring.

I blame the the over grown rodent punxsutawney phil for this year's winter weather.

Gone through over a couple cord so far and we haven't seen the last of it. The empty stack area in the foreground held 2 cord when we started burning last fall. The stacks in the background are part of next year's stash.

We've burned throuh more than we originally thought this season... but we should have some left over come spring.

Attachments

• 100_547.jpg
    100_547.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 129
A neighbor just told me another neighbor (arborist) has seasoned wood for sale at $125/cord. Will check today, and if true, buy 5-10 cords. I might be back in business after all.

You should know better than to believe him. I think you'd be mad to buy wood, the entire western suburbs will be a wood scroungers delight once the snow melts.

Me, I'm only a weekend burner, but between all the days off school and the recent Icepocalypse, I've burned almost a cord already, much, much more than usual.
I'm eager to see the official NOAA monthly HDD report for this area, usually comes out on the 15th of each month.

TE

We'll be burning about a cord and a half of 15/16% red oak what was supposed to be next year's wood easy.
Next up is 17-22% red oak. Probably be into that end of March.

I load up in the garage with wood in Sept- Oct...of all the years this year I put less in because of past years not needing as much.

I've reloaded 2 weeks ago and even though the wood is from the same pile I can notice the wetness from being outside compared to the dry wood I had inside.

Still heats but I was able to get better and faster second burns sooner...I won' t make that mistake next year...

You should know better than to believe him. I think you'd be mad to buy wood, the entire western suburbs will be a wood scroungers delight once the snow melts.
Yeah, it turned out to be one of those too good to be true scenarios. The guy had wood, but nothing seasoned left.

On scrounging vs. buying, I have all the wood I can handle for free, but I must fell, limb, drag, buck, and haul it home 8 miles. When collecting upwards of 10 cords per year, the last two and a half years, you wouldn't believe how much time that can take. Then I need to split and stack it all. Buying wood is starting to look much more appealing.

This guy offered rounds at $125 per truck load, and he said his truck holds 1.5 cords. He has split green at $175/cord. Rounds delivered to my wood splitting area at < $100 / cord might not be a bad deal for me.

End of 2013/2014 season
Ha! Ha! Ha!!!!!!

Reactions: WiscWoody
Okay, I wanted to start a thread to post the total usage for heating for the season. I'm thinking only actual recurring usage for fuel, firestarters. So please keep in mind your fuel usages if you want to participate.

For example: projected this year for me, 175 gals oil, 3/4 cord oak/spruce, 1/2 box SC's, 15 bags pellets, 40 NIELS, 60 Biobricks.--1950 sq.ft.

This is where having a location in your signature would also come in handy.

Already one of these threads running for several days. Meaningless. Different locations, different weather, different living spaces and on and on and on. And a lot of heating season left to go.

Reactions: jeff_t
Yeah, likely to be -10 here tonight. I wish we were nearing the end.

Already one of these threads running for several days. Meaningless. Different locations, different weather, different living spaces and on and on and on. And a lot of heating season left to go.

Didn't know. The differences are good, that way folks who live in upstate NY with 1500 sq ft can see usage of other folks in same category. Yes, the results would only be "official" after the heating days are over.

Probably another month of serious burning to go here and then shoulder burning until May.
I have burned just under 3 of the 4 cords I planned to burn this season. I think I will end up just right. I have at least one cord of next year's wood that is ready now if I need it.

Didn't know. The differences are good, that way folks who live in upstate NY with 1500 sq ft can see usage of other folks in same category. Yes, the results would only be "official" after the heating days are over.
Merged threads.

1 1/2 cords burning daily from 11am-11pm supplemental heat in 250 yr old and drafty house
1760's? Pic's please. Post in DIY or Inglenook, and link thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.