End of summer squash harvest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Time to start gathering the squash. They certainly are colorful.

Attachments

• IMG_0862web.jpg
    IMG_0862web.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 320
I got 70 butternuts this year ( 30 last year, and I had more than twice the space this year with a late start for most of it)
My sister lost all of hers to some kind of bug.
I usually don't pick mine this soon, but she looked at mine and said some of the funny triangle marks in mine was what were in hers before she lost them all so I picked them. I left the green ones and lost a couple that I picked to either being chewed or the stems being a bit green yet.
Dunno if they need to be in the sun for a while to harden up or if in the garage on wire racks like I have them is good enough.

Those yellow ones look like spaghetti squash. I like those but no one else here thinks they taste like enough of anything. They seem to store well, too.

The bright yellow ones are actually Early Silver Stripe melons. They were an experiment this year and surprisingly successful. Normally we have very limited success with melons. The striped jobs are Delicata which are a winter favorite for us.

That looks like a great fall harvest. My wife loves squash, me not so much, although I do appreciate the effort and benefits of home grown foods, and we eat mostly organic/locally grown. That pic looks like it should be in a food magazine - nice!

Very nice picture. It reminds that it is time to make butternut squash soup when the cool weather hits.

I'm looking forward to some good autumn soups soon, but we are up to our ears in tomato processing right now, so it will have to wait a couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.