energex or okanagan platinum?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ps50

Jan 17, 2015
vermont
Been burning spruce pointes the last 2 winters, but are a little pricey. Bought a few bags of energex and okanagan platinum. Didn't notice much of a difference on heat output. Energex are ashier. 265 ton energex. 289 ton okanagan. What should i get?

Been burning spruce pointes the last 2 winters, but are a little pricey. Bought a few bags of energex and okanagan platinum. Didn't notice much of a difference on heat output. Energex are ashier. 265 ton energex. 289 ton okanagan. What should i get?
I've burned both in quantity and as mentioned already, just depends how much you like dealing with ash. No question the Energex have more of it, though I never found it hard to clean up and in either case I did my cleaning on schedule anyway. Heat indeed is about equal, in my case there was less dust with the Energex. The Platinums here are a premium price and I found a lot of fines so I stopped using them. In fact I moved them down near the bottom of my list because I can't see paying a premium for a moderate product. Spruce Pointes are the same or slightly less money here and at least the same quality if not better ( I like Spruce Pointes). I thought a hopper full of Spruce point or Energex lasted a little longer than the Platinums personally and their sizing better filled the hopper. .Yet others here Love the Platinums.

$24 a ton difference, how much are you buying ? If buying a couple of tons I can think of plenty of things to spend $48 on and take the extra 2 minutes per cleaning to clean the stove in trade. Just my view on the matter..

Looking to get 1 or 2 tons. I've heard such great things about okanagan pellets so i bought 3 bags to try. I'm not seeing much of a difference between these and energex other then the ash. Probably just get a ton of energex.

If the Super Ultimate Okanagan are the same as Energex, Id get the Energex. Okanagan are $370 a ton, as stated above, across the border in Bennington Energex are 269-289

Bought a ton of okanagan. For the extra 20$ figured it was worth it
Yeah, some people like those pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.