Energy King Silhouette 2800 - Door Seal Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ortho004

Feb 5, 2022
!apache
Hello all!

New to the wood burning fireplace world, as the house we moved into in November has a Energy King Silhouette from 2001ish that we’ve been using quite a bit to offset propane this winter.

My problem is with the door seal- it was starting to leak around the latch, so I’m trying to replace. The door has a 0.5” channel for the gasket, which mates to the flat front of the fireplace. Based on my reading (and the manual doesn’t offer a spec) I should go with a 0.5” gasket- however that doesn’t even come close to sealing to the face of the fireplace- it barely makes contact. Even a 0.75” gasket doesn’t really hold a piece of paper. The gasket that was in it was at least a 0.75” or 1” gasket, which was formed to the channel and pancaked onto the face of the fireplace and is brittle, so no great way to measure.

My question is, am I missing something that is making this a lot different than the guidance I see online about replacing gaskets? There’s some latch adjustment, but I don’t think I can snug up the hinge side of the door (looks like the door just hangs on two pins, which are bolted through the front of the fireplace, but I’m not seeing any adjustment). Obviously stuffing a 0.75” or 1” gasket into the 0.5” groove doesn’t work well at all, and I’m trying to figure out if there is another gasket option or adjustment I should be thinking about…