Energy King Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Anyone ever check these stoves out? I went to the Manufacture today to take a look see. They are very well built with 1/4" firebox and 3/16" steel shroud around that so they are a totally enclosed convection catalytic stove. Nice quiet blower with the hot air coming out the top and sides, big fire box and a dial air control. It looks way better in person than the pictures I've seen. It even has an ash pan for the insert but it looks kind a small. Price for insert and surround is about $2600. There lit doesn't specify the fire box volume, I should of asked, it looked like 2.5-3.0. I may have to consider this stove or Blaze King for my fireplace some day.

http://www.energyking.com/woodstoves.htm

Chat with forum member Rocky. He has one and loves it. It is one of the only inserts you will find these days with an ash pan.

Why do the big cat stoves have to use an 8" flue and be so goofy looking? The thing is brown for crying out loud. None of them look conventional like a Lopi, PE, ESW, etc. The dutchwest is pretty attractive.

The exhaust collar is square and they say there is a 6" or 8" adapter. So I guess it can be exhausted into either. This stove is very nice looking in person, the picture doesn't do it justice. There is also 3 different colors, black, charcoal, and BB's favorite brown. The freestander is the same as the insert but it has legs or pedestal. If my tax return is big enough this year I might just buy one, I was really impressed with the quality and looks. The cat is easy to get at, two bolts for the face plate and the cat slides right out. The only thing I didn't like was the surround, too plain looking.

nice stoves just not that great looking but work well.

Todd,

I have the Bay 2000C insert. I have the gold trim on mine and without it I dont think it would not be as nearly as aesthetically pleasing. I have had it for about 4 years now and I believe it was used for one season by the previous owner before his log cabin burned down. My Father bought it from him for a song and gave it to me as a B-day present. It has saved my family an unbelievable amount of money in propane over the years. I love the fact that I can throw some nice seasoned oak in it and let it chug along at 500-550 (measured on the front above the bay window) for hours and when it gets to the coaling stage it stays about 400 for a few more hours. The blower can really throw the heat and isnt too loud. If you ever have to replace a bay window like me X3 it is a whopping $16.00 to replace. The cats are $80.00 a piece and there are two. When I installed mine the first year I simply stuck the 6 foot section of ss oval flue that it came into the 10X10 mason lined chimney and it has never spilled any smoke into the house except one time when my chimney cap got clogged. I used the insert to heat our 2700 sq ft home with nothing but wood until it got below 15-20. Now I heat the entire house witht he help of the Englander 30 in the basement on nights like tonight when it will be down around 0. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here is a camera phone pic of the insert with the gold trim. If you think it looks bad, you should see my sister in law next to it.

Attachments

• enking.jpg
    enking.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 862
Reactions: dafattkidd
Thanks Rockey,
They don't have the gold plated doors anymore, they said it cost too much to ship them to Canada to get it done. How does that dial air setting work out? Can it be shut off completely? Does yours have the allen screw hole for the thermometer probe next to the damper lever? Also what are the dimensions of your fire box?

Todd said:
How does that dial air setting work out?
Works fine for me. All I have to do is yell at the boy to go clockwise or counter clockwise :)

Todd said:
Can it be shut off completely?
If you go fully clockwise it is almost closed. If you apply a bit more force it clicks and I think it is fully closed then.

Todd said:
Does yours have the allen screw hole for the thermometer probe next to the damper lever?
Hey, thats what that hole is for! I wondered a few times about that. You know more about this stove than I do.

[quote author="Todd" date="1233814518"] Also what are the dimensions of your fire box?quote]
Man, I have tried for years to figure that out. Since it is irregular shaped it would take more thought than I feel like putting into it. Taking a SWAG based on the Englander 30 I would say between 2.3-2.5 cu ft. It puts out good heat for the size. The best part is that since it is a cat stove when you go to load it you can really fill it. I have to take it easy on the Englander because of the burn tubes. Conversely, I have used a sledege hammer to make a few pieces fit into the Energy King. Slamming the door on wood to make it fit only results in shelling out $16.00 for a new window.

Sledge hammer hey, it looks like the stove could take it, looks like it's built like a tank. How about cat maintenance? Looks like a couple bolts and it slides out?

I sold EK for many years....mostly as inserts, not as stoves.
Good units. Extremely nice people.......Bob and Carole.....know their metal fab stuff. They do other contract work, and hold a number of patents, etc.

I think they have some corn/pellet furnaces and also regular furnaces and boilers.

Yep, their outfit is called Wisconsin Metal Fab. They can make just about anything, lots of high tech laser metal fab stuff there. I've met Bob a couple times and my dad pals around with him, good people.

I owned an Energy King Legacy stove back in the mid 90's, it was a non cat and they don't make them anymore, now they only make the new cat stove along with wood, coal, and corn furnaces.

Todd said:
Sledge hammer hey, it looks like the stove could take it, looks like it's built like a tank. How about cat maintenance? Looks like a couple bolts and it slides out?

If they are still made the same way, then those two bolts are a bit more of a pain then it should have to be and definitrly a dirty job.

If you ever find out the exact firebox dimension please let me know. I've been wondering for years.

Todd,

Did you ask them why they haven't updated to a circle exhaust yet? Seems like an easy thing to engineer and if they could do a 6" circle exhaust to me that would make the stove more of a competitor in the "Cat stove market".

I to do not understand why every cat stove has to have an 8" exhaust, especially for Inserts where most of us barely have the room to fit a 6" insulated pipe down the chimney.

mellow said:
Todd,

Did you ask them why they haven't updated to a circle exhaust yet? Seems like an easy thing to engineer and if they could do a 6" circle exhaust to me that would make the stove more of a competitor in the "Cat stove market".

I to do not understand why every cat stove has to have an 8" exhaust, especially for Inserts where most of us barely have the room to fit a 6" insulated pipe down the chimney.

I agree that it would sure be nice to have a large cat stove rated to heat 2000-2500 that uses a 6" pipe. I am fairly confident that it is no coincidence that all of the cat manufacturers seem to independently choose to use the 8" flue. We know that these efficient stoves send very little heat up the flue so maybe the 8" helps keep a draft running?

EK is rare in that they seem to allow the use of a 6" flue atop their rectangle adapter.

I am all for brown as a custom color or a choice of colors, especially a mod's stove . I am glad to here that you aren't required to have brown for the rest of us with less refined tastes.

Highbeam said:
I am all for brown as a custom color or a choice of colors, especially a mod's stove . I am glad to here that you aren't required to have brown for the rest of us with less refined tastes.

My sierra is brown with gold accent, I didn't care much for it at first, but with the heat that thing is throwing out and long burn times I am starting to "warm up" to the color :)

Not suggesting that this EK stove is rated for 2000-2500 but hoping that there is one out there rated as such with a 6" flue. Based on apparent firebox size and btus this EK stove is not likely to be a 2000+ SF heater. It would compare to the princess which is sub 2000 IIRC.

The cat stoves all seem to be rated for only small spaces. Prehaps they are just more realistic.

I would get a sierra 4700 insert, but that calls for an 8" flue, now if you can safely convert that down to 6" would be a good question.

The energy king and blaze king are the only Cat inserts that I have seen the manufacture giving you the blessing IN WRITING to use a 6" liner.

Must be something to do with the name.

Highbeam said:
mellow said:
Todd,

I agree that it would sure be nice to have a large cat stove rated to heat 2000-2500 that uses a 6" pipe. I am fairly confident that it is no coincidence that all of the cat manufacturers seem to independently choose to use the 8" flue. We know that these efficient stoves send very little heat up the flue so maybe the 8" helps keep a draft running?

EK is rare in that they seem to allow the use of a 6" flue atop their rectangle adapter.

It was my understanding that the stove was designed to burn either 6 or 8" and they made the exhaust square so you could pick what ever size adapter they have to fit your chimney. Maybe they thought their adapter looks better than a round 8 to 6 reducer?

Rockey said:
If you ever find out the exact firebox dimension please let me know. I've been wondering for years.

I'll find out tomorrow, too busy with my taxes today and not very happy with the out come. Have to wait for a new EK insert. :down:

Todd said:
Rockey said:

I'll find out tomorrow, too busy with my taxes today and not very happy with the out come. Have to wait for a new EK insert. :down:

Firebox size is 2.5cu ft

23" front width, 20" rear width, 17" depth, 12" high

Status
Not open for further replies.