Energy Show in Wisconsin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muleman51

Feb 18, 2008
SE Minnesota
Does anyone have more details on the energy show that was mentioned earlier that supposed to be in Custer, Wis. on June 19-20?? It would be nice to see some of the boilers that we read about here in the Midwest, not just OWBs. It would still be 4 hours for me to get there. Sounds like you had a great show in Bangor.

Do you happen to know what boiler manufacturers are represented by these exibitors.

Alternative Fuel Boilers = Econoburn is the only name I recognize - not to say that there might not be other boiler brands represented by local dealers...

I saw LOTS of names I recognized as big name solar outfits, but not sure about boilers.

Gooserider

I went to this show last year. I saw Ecoburn, Garn, and Greenwood. I got a very good look at the Greenwood, but was unable to figureout anything out about the Garn. The show had more stuff about solar and wind power. Most of it was expense stuff being marketed by companys. I was expecting more "do it yourself" type of displays. I guess years back it was more like that.
Vince

Personally I was hoping for more boilers. It's a quite a drive if I can only catch a couple of boilers. I could probably find some dealers closer than that except that it is nice to see them side by side. I'm not really into wind or solar unless you can prove to me the payback is there before you start to fix. They are both great ideas. Wood, I know will payback soon.

muleman51 said:
Personally I was hoping for more boilers. It's a quite a drive if I can only catch a couple of boilers. I could probably find some dealers closer than that except that it is nice to see them side by side. I'm not really into wind or solar unless you can prove to me the payback is there before you start to fix. They are both great ideas. Wood, I know will payback soon.

IMHO there isn't much payback on wind for most people, and I don't see that changing any time soon, as the inherent costs of putting up an adequate tower alone are a problem, then add the needed maintainance, and so on, and the payback isn't there.

Solar ELECTRIC has a payback, but it's a very lengthy one, even with all the government subsidies - arguably the payback approaches the useful life of the system. I think the installed cost per KW needs to drop about 50% from where it is now before solar electric makes good sense.

OTOH, Solar HEATING, either air or water, can have very good numbers - arguably in the same range as a wood setup if appropriately sized, and especially if you have a secondary demand (such as a swimming pool) to make the panel output useful in the non-heating season as well...

Gooserider

We looked at wind, makes no sense unless you are off grid.

PV only works if you have a massive subsidy and/or are off grid. Which our supplier does not give.

Solar hot water does, something we will be adding.

Status
Not open for further replies.