Engine swap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jan Pijpelink

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2015
South Jersey
I just picked up a Predator 212 cc engine for $98 + tax at Harbor Freight. I will replace my old 5 HP B&S on my splitter. Any tips from users who have done this?

I just picked up a Predator 212 cc engine for $98 + tax at Harbor Freight. I will replace my old 5 HP B&S on my splitter. Any tips from users who have done this?
Did same thing last month. Simple swap. Hit the bolts and set screws with penetrating oil. I put a cheap hr meter on mine. Change oil after 5 hrs.
Such a improvement over the old bs.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
It took me exactly 45 minutes to remove the B&S engine, clean the mounting plate, install the Predator and start the engine at the 1st pull. Everything works. Fantastic little engine.

Attachments

• IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 508
They are good engines, have one on 1968 ariens snow bower, and another on go kart. My spliter set up is similar, your going to notice the engine blows hot air at you. I've split about two cords, contemplating turning engine 180. Although it may be a bonus in winter, heater air.

Rob is the engine exhaust overwhelming or just a minor nuisance? Any way to maybe put a deflector in place. I have a vertical shaft currently and was contemplating at one time changing to the horizontal arrangement with this same engine but was hesitant thinking the exhaust would blow on my arms and hands or worse in my face.

It’s not really exhaust. That comes out the side. It’s the air coming out for cooling. Sucks air though pull start recoil then shrouds direct air, eventually out back, or pto side.
It has not bothered me to the point of doing anything. Considered turning it but that will require new hoses, a deflector of some kind, like motorcycle windshield would work, but I’m also lazy.
Am I right to think that you wanna put a horizontal shaft engine in place of a vertical? I can’t see why, if current engine is dead it’s easier to replace with something similar. Good luck.
Rob

I love my predator engines. Or should I say fo-honda.

I replaced my engine about 5 years ago with the HF Greyhound. That was the predecessor to the Predator. The Greyhound looked identical to the Honda, prompting Honda to file lawsuit against HF. That is why HF changed models and the look/color to the Predator. The Greyhound still runs great sitting on my John Deere spliter, circa 1970.

I picked up a homemade splitter about 4 years ago, the engine was shot. Put a Predator 212cc on it and I've split around 15 full cord without an issue. The engine/pump setup points the exhaust toward the work area, but I just put a cage style pump mount on it and am going to change the motor location.

I picked up a homemade splitter about 4 years ago, the engine was shot. Put a Predator 212cc on it and I've split around 15 full cord without an issue. The engine/pump setup points the exhaust toward the work area, but I just put a cage style pump mount on it and am going to change the motor location.

Just got the 13 H P and waiting for 22 GPM pump,this is replacing an 8 HP and 16 Gal. pump this should speed things up some I'm hoping.

Just got the 13 H P and waiting for 22 GPM pump,this is replacing an 8 HP and 16 Gal. pump this should speed things up some I'm hoping.

Depends on your line sizes, cylinder port sizes, filter size, valve size, etc. What are your particulars? There are very few machines that can support 22 GPM flow rate, without issues.

Reactions: triptester
Well, since I installed the engine in June last year I had not used the splitter.

This afternoon I split about 3/4 cord mainly oak (including the wood I got from @Woodsplitter67) with some very stringy rounds in there. The splitter has been outside under a tarp.
I checked the oil and fuel. It ran after 4 pulls. That engine runs like a champ! With the 30% increase in HP compared to my old 5 HP BS engine, the difference is significant. Great engine for that money. The 30 something year old Sachs-Dolmar splitter runs like new. No problems with the stringy wood.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Well, since I installed the engine in June last year I had not used the splitter.

This afternoon I split about 3/4 cord mainly oak (including the wood I got from @Woodsplitter67) with some very stringy rounds in there. The splitter has been outside under a tarp.
I checked the oil and fuel. It ran after 4 pulls. That engine runs like a champ! With the 30% increase in HP compared to my old 5 HP BS engine, the difference is significant. Great engine for that money. The 30 something year old Sachs-Dolmar splitter runs like new. No problems with the stringy wood.

If your all split.. how much wood are you sitting on now

I need to cut and split about 1/2 cord. If all done about 2 cords.

Good for you.. thats good wood on the scrounge.. i have 3.25 cords css as of right now.. getting ready to head back out into the woods and grab another cord.. im going to cut a bunch to log lenth and sit on it untill next year

Good for you.. thats good wood on the scrounge.. i have 3.25 cords css as of right now.. getting ready to head back out into the woods and grab another cord.. im going to cut a bunch to log lenth and sit on it untill next year
Good for you. If you have any excess wood, let me know.

Last edited:
I have never been a fan of Briggs. They just always seem to be finicky starters. I am a huge fan of Honda small engines. They are bulletproof. Cold blooded but bulletproof. It is interesting to here about HF Knock offs. I have a landscaping business with many tools running small engine Hondas. When it comes time to replace one I will check out this predator.

I generally agree, I’ll take Honda or Subaru over Briggs, when comparing equivalent models. But to be fair, you need to recognize there’s a hell of a difference between an EX and an Intek or Vanguard. Not all Briggs are equal.

I own one Briggs on a customized splitter now, an Intek. It was the only motor that would fit the requirements, Honda and Subie offered no equivalent.

It's funny, my experiences have been just the opposite. I've had outstanding results from my briggs motors over the years, and more than a little trouble over time from my Honda motors. And when it came time to buy any parts for the Honda's, bend over.

Reactions: Ashful
It's funny, my experiences have been just the opposite. I've had outstanding results from my briggs motors over the years, and more than a little trouble over time from my Honda motors. And when it came time to buy any parts for the Honda's, bend over.

Yeah, figured one like you would be along, eventually. Each of us may own a dozen small 4-stroke engines in our lifetime, far too small a sampling from each decade of production to really yield any statistically significant conclusion of one brand vs the other.

Excepting one Briggs e675 that has automatic loosening head bolts, I’ve never had any trouble with any OPE of any brand, that wasn’t self-inflicted. The reason I prefer the other brands over Briggs is not about reliability. It’s build quality, engineering, and... NOISE! The Briggs I own are all my loudest engines, hp for hp, of any brand I have ever known. You can also see more places where their engineers are pinching pennies, than the other two, most insignificant... but others a little frustrating.

BTW, I have a Toro push mower from 1973 with a Briggs engine on it, and it still runs like a champ.

I generally agree, I’ll take Honda or Subaru over Briggs, when comparing equivalent models. But to be fair, you need to recognize there’s a hell of a difference between an EX and an Intek or Vanguard. Not all Briggs are equal.

I own one Briggs on a customized splitter now, an Intek. It was the only motor that would fit the requirements, Honda and Subie offered no equivalent.
I can go along with this. Even Honda has its junk line of motors. I think the GCV motors. I’m not to impressed with the Subaru line but have only been exposed to one power washer with it so I won’t write off the company over one motor. The Vanguards are proving to be pretty decent. I have a twin vanguard on my mower and except for a new starter (warrentied) and a carb clean it has been pretty solid. Now if kubota would just make small engine diesels....I don’t know if that is even possible or practical but it would be interesting.

I find this interesting. The only thing I have ever had to replace on my Honda’s is the recoil and sparkies and air filters. I know under heavy use the valve guide (exhaust side I think) will start to leak oil and they end up smoking a little bit. But like ashful said different strokes for different folks. Everyone’s experience and perception is different.

I repowered a mower that had a chitty tecumsa engine on it, with the predator vertical shaft.

It's self propelled, which made the swap complicated.

Ran awesome for four years, used it mostly to bag grass and leaves for the garden.

Then, this year, I finally broke down and let the little lady pitch in during leaf pick up season. She was really wanting to help.

Well, you probably know where this is going...

She found the one protruding root in the one area I told her to avoid. Not sure it's killed, but it is not the same engine. The mulching blade was bent almost in half. Instead of two pull starts, takes about a dozen, and something is clanking during the start.

Oh well, at least I won't be figuring out the second time around.

I repowered a mower that had a chitty tecumsa engine on it, with the predator vertical shaft.
I have an Ariens 824 walk-behind snowblower with a Tecumseh engine on it. I'm not overly impressed with it, but the damn thing keeps ticking, so I can't complain about it, either. At least we (mostly) live in a time where you get what you paid, the Tecumseh was cheap, by comparison to other options.

... and to answer RandyBoBandy's earlier post about Subaru, I have an EX27 on my Little Wonder leaf blower, and I love that motor. Heavy starting load, but she fires on the first or second pull, every time. I will put Subaru "Robin" motors right up there with Honda, every time, I am a fan.

Right now, I have the following mix:

Tractor: Yanmar 1.3L 3-cyl diesel
ZTrak Mower: Kawasaki V-twin (25-hp)
Log splitter: Briggs Intek 21R707
Leaf blower: Subaru EX27
Generator: Honda GX390
Baby snowblower: Tecumseh 8hp iron bore
Pressure washer: Briggs e675
Cub Cadet 123: Kohler K301 (actually, just sold)
Push mower: antique Briggs 3hp... older than me!

No issues with any of them, except those automatic-loosening head bolts on the e675.

Reactions: RandyBoBandy