Engine swap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have an Ariens 824 walk-behind snowblower with a Tecumseh engine on it. I'm not overly impressed with it, but the damn thing keeps ticking, so I can't complain about it, either. At least we (mostly) live in a time where you get what you paid, the Tecumseh was cheap, by comparison to other options.

... and to answer RandyBoBandy's earlier post about Subaru, I have an EX27 on my Little Wonder leaf blower, and I love that motor. Heavy starting load, but she fires on the first or second pull, every time. I will put Subaru "Robin" motors right up there with Honda, every time, I am a fan.

Right now, I have the following mix:

Tractor: Yanmar 1.3L 3-cyl diesel
ZTrak Mower: Kawasaki V-twin (25-hp)
Log splitter: Briggs Intek 21R707
Leaf blower: Subaru EX27
Generator: Honda GX390
Baby snowblower: Tecumseh 8hp iron bore
Pressure washer: Briggs e675
Cub Cadet 123: Kohler K301 (actually, just sold)
Push mower: antique Briggs 3hp... older than me!

No issues with any of them, except those automatic-loosening head bolts on the e675.
Got what I paid for, fo sho. The mower showed up outside the barn one day, it was a discard that FIL picked up off someone's curb on garbage day.

He's since gone to the great lawn in the sky, so the mower has sentimental value. Which explains why the little lady is down for those chores.

Got to figure out what to do with that old techy taking up space in the barn. I suppose it'll go out in the trash soon.

I have an Ariens 824 walk-behind snowblower with a Tecumseh engine on it. I'm not overly impressed with it, but the damn thing keeps ticking, so I can't complain about it, either. At least we (mostly) live in a time where you get what you paid, the Tecumseh was cheap, by comparison to other options.

... and to answer RandyBoBandy's earlier post about Subaru, I have an EX27 on my Little Wonder leaf blower, and I love that motor. Heavy starting load, but she fires on the first or second pull, every time. I will put Subaru "Robin" motors right up there with Honda, every time, I am a fan.

Right now, I have the following mix:

Tractor: Yanmar 1.3L 3-cyl diesel
ZTrak Mower: Kawasaki V-twin (25-hp)
Log splitter: Briggs Intek 21R707
Leaf blower: Subaru EX27
Generator: Honda GX390
Baby snowblower: Tecumseh 8hp iron bore
Pressure washer: Briggs e675
Cub Cadet 123: Kohler K301 (actually, just sold)
Push mower: antique Briggs 3hp... older than me!

No issues with any of them, except those automatic-loosening head bolts on the e675.
I willing to bet that yanmar will never die either. The last company I worked for before starting my own business had an old rickety yanmar tractor with a brush hog on the back. That little tractor was indestructible.

Reactions: Ashful
Depends on your line sizes, cylinder port sizes, filter size, valve size, etc. What are your particulars? There are very few machines that can support 22 GPM flow rate, without issues.

I have been running the 13 HP all fall and winter(about ten cords) with zero problems. I have 3/4 lines and 30 gpm double detent valve,I run the engine just a little above idle the governor just about grunts and pusher never slows down,just keeps going. I have never opened it up because I work alone but will if I have help ( guess I should just to see what goes ) LOL. It is a cold hearted engine as it needs choking to start most of the time even
if warm,hot quick start up is O.K. I think I would go for a 28 GPM if I needed to do it again. This machine is running some fine for me and makes it a pleasure to split as I'm 75 the self starter and speed are about right on uses a little more fuel than the 8 HP briggs but puts out more wood with less hassle like waiting for pressure to build up with 16 GPM pump, just runs so smooth should have done it years ago.

I repowered a mower that had a chitty tecumsa engine on it, with the predator vertical shaft.

It's self propelled, which made the swap complicated.

Ran awesome for four years, used it mostly to bag grass and leaves for the garden.

Then, this year, I finally broke down and let the little lady pitch in during leaf pick up season. She was really wanting to help.

Well, you probably know where this is going...

She found the one protruding root in the one area I told her to avoid. Not sure it's killed, but it is not the same engine. The mulching blade was bent almost in half. Instead of two pull starts, takes about a dozen, and something is clanking during the start.

Oh well, at least I won't be figuring out the second time around.

You might want to check for a bent key in the flywheel,the jolt sometimes sheares or bends the key,with it starting hard it could be out of time,a lot of times it just won't start. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
ifirc Yamaha bought the the Subaru small engine line when they closed it down. They have brough back a few of the offerings that filled holes in their line.

I have been running the 13 HP all fall and winter(about ten cords) with zero problems. I have 3/4 lines and 30 gpm double detent valve,I run the engine just a little above idle the governor just about grunts and pusher never slows down,just keeps going. I have never opened it up because I work alone but will if I have help ( guess I should just to see what goes ) LOL. It is a cold hearted engine as it needs choking to start most of the time even
if warm,hot quick start up is O.K. I think I would go for a 28 GPM if I needed to do it again. This machine is running some fine for me and makes it a pleasure to split as I'm 75 the self starter and speed are about right on uses a little more fuel than the 8 HP briggs but puts out more wood with less hassle like waiting for pressure to build up with 16 GPM pump, just runs so smooth should have done it years ago.
Cool... never seen a 30 gpm dual gear pump! Most are 11, 16, 28 gpm. The actual pump volume is a linear relation to engine RPM, and gear pumps are typically rated at 3000 rpm, so if you're running that engine at 1000 rpm you're only moving 10 gpm. That could explain why it never bogs, but if you've got 3/4 supply side and at least double that cross-section on the suction side, you'd have no trouble moving 30 gpm.

Cool... never seen a 30 gpm dual gear pump! Most are 11, 16, 28 gpm. The actual pump volume is a linear relation to engine RPM, and gear pumps are typically rated at 3000 rpm, so if you're running that engine at 1000 rpm you're only moving 10 gpm. That could explain why it never bogs, but if you've got 3/4 supply side and at least double that cross-section on the suction side, you'd have no trouble moving 30 gpm.
I have a 22 GPM pump,it's the valve that is a 30 GPM valve. I will try at a higher RPM and see what goes,I don't like running the hell out of equipment just what is necessary.I have the equipment to make my own hoses and going any bigger would be an overkill,piston is 4" true inside mesure. I will let you know what goes at higher RPM,like I said I think I could have run a 28 GPM but this is fine.
The valve is a bubble detent if you throw it either way it will travel to end of piston and then go to neutral until it's set to go the other way,saves a lot of time when working alone but would not recommend if youths were using splitter or folks that don't understand the operation.