Engine vibration on my Supersplit.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Got to use my Supersplit for a couple of days now and like it very much. Pretty fun and productive. The only downside for me is some is, what I think, excessive vibration of Honda engine.I might be paranoid but I think it got worse since I ran it new. My Briggs and Stratton on CountyLine shakes like crazy as well. I was expecting smoother running from Honda. I even disconnected everything from the engine thinking that might be something else, but even with no belts, it vibrating a lot, sending it through the machine. Anyone else has an experience like this? Is this normal?
Attaching the video with jumping wood on a table because of vibration.

Attachments

• IMG_3331.MOV
    15.5 MB
Last edited:
That does look a bit wonky. But normal for that engine/ machine, no idea. My MTD with a 5 HP Tecumseh engine pretty smooth.

Hmmm.... I too would have thought the Honda to be a smoother running engine. And you say that it vibrates in the same way when disconnected from the flywheel? It sounds like an engine balance issue. Is that a gx or gc honda?

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Is that wide open? When mine was gas I only ran it at 3/4 speed. I couldn’t tell it was spinning slower adding to the cycle time. As quiet as the Honda is it got annoying so I converted it to electric.
Zero complaints.

Has your wife been taking any trips out to the garage by herself lately? Maybe she "did some modifications" to it so she could enjoy it too. ==c

Reactions: salecker
Is that wide open? When mine was gas I only ran it at 3/4 speed. I couldn’t tell it was spinning slower adding to the cycle time. As quiet as the Honda is it got annoying so I converted it to electric.
Zero complaints.
Yeah , it’s full on. I’ll try to dial it down and see if it works . Already thinking about electrical. I was afraid it was not powerful enough as gas , but it goes trough everything with occasional couple hits..

Has your wife been taking any trips out to the garage by herself lately? Maybe she "did some modifications" to it so she could enjoy it too. ==c
I’d think , but it’s in a back yard and shakes way much for any purpose

Yeah , it’s full on. I’ll try to dial it down and see if it works . Already thinking about electrical. I was afraid it was not powerful enough as gas , but it goes trough everything with occasional couple hits..
On the electric model when the rack stops it stops the motor so you need to whack the lever back down. The gas model stops the rack with the clutch.

I find it extremely unlikely I'll change it back but I still have the engine and belts.

On the electric model when the rack stops it stops the motor so you need to whack the lever back down. The gas model stops the rack with the clutch.

Do you remember if your honda engine was vibrating to some extent when it was annoying?

Is the engine bolted down tight? I could always tell when the Kohler was coming loose, AGAIN, on my old Cub Cadet...it would shake like a 3 legged dog...man, I sure don't miss that thing!

Reactions: moresnow
Is the engine bolted down tight? I could always tell when the Kohler was coming loose, AGAIN, on my old Cub Cadet...it would shake like a 3 legged dog...man, I sure don't miss that thing!
Tried everything, bolted real tight. Then made it loose. Kicked it. lol. I still can feel the ground shaking.

On wide open yes IIRC. Electric came with an obvious cost plus cord ends and 100’ of 10-2 SJ
I at least didn’t have to pay a guy to run the pipe and pull wires.

Hmmm.... I too would have thought the Honda to be a smoother running engine. And you say that it vibrates in the same way when disconnected from the flywheel? It sounds like an engine balance issue. Is that a gx or gc honda?
It's a GX

It's a GX

Seems very unlikely it's the motor. I can't get a good sense of how hard it's vibrating just from that little video. It seems most splitters will move the splits around when resting on the table.

Longer video, or multiple angles would help. But it's unlikely that the motor itself would be making much vibration.

I didn't remember that's the fly wheel splitter. There web site video demo has no noticeable vibration. It seams like that amount of vibration would be from the flywheel balance. I know you said it was disconnected. And as Jags said it's one or the other. I've never seen a crank shaft counter weight broken off, but this may be what it looks like.
I would send them your video.

I have never run one but the flywheel needs to be constantly spinning. That is the kinetic energy part of this. The flywheel disconnects from the rack after it cycles. But the engine constantly spins the flywheel.

One other thought, make sure that table and it's parts are all bolted down fully, and one of the bolts or holes isn't loose, that might very well amplify any harmonics of the machine. I'd get out the loctite and check all your fasteners, etc. Split washers often don't do the job to keep fasteners tight.

Make sure nothing is moving, and look to see if anything after your home fixes needs shimming or adjusting, or a larger bolt because the hole has slop, etc..

Reactions: JimBear
One other thought, make sure that table and it's parts are all bolted down fully, and one of the bolts or holes isn't loose, that might very well amplify any harmonics of the machine. I'd get out the loctite and check all your fasteners, etc. Split washers often don't do the job to keep fasteners tight.

Make sure nothing is moving, and look to see if anything after your home fixes needs shimming or adjusting, or a larger bolt because the hole has slop, etc..
You are right. I need to see if the table modification can add noise. Holes became larger after filing and bolts might not be as tight as intended.

You are right. I need to see if the table modification can add noise. Holes became larger after filing and bolts might not be as tight as intended.

I often end up shimming up or adding a rubber strip, extra washers, etc., to machines I run because of annoying inherent noise and vibration. I just redid an old/low RPM American made air compressor to use at the cabin, and when I was done fixing it up, it had a lousy rattle and vibration from the belt and pully safety cover. Took it all apart, cut some rubber strips and put everything back together with some loctite, thing is whisper quiet now. The fact that your table is vibrating might simply be from not being installed just right, and or not locked down firm enough. Play with it a bit and see if you can get it in a happy state.

I often end up shimming up or adding a rubber strip, extra washers, etc., to machines I run because of annoying inherent noise and vibration. I just redid an old/low RPM American made air compressor to use at the cabin, and when I was done fixing it up, it had a lousy rattle and vibration from the belt and pully safety cover. Took it all apart, cut some rubber strips and put everything back together with some loctite, thing is whisper quiet now. The fact that your table is vibrating might simply be from not being installed just right, and or not locked down firm enou th it a bit and see if you can get it in a happy state.
[/QUOT I
I actually had the impression that lot of noise coming from the table. It mounted just with bolt, but and lock washer. After modifying holes might not be enough.Would you recommend adding some washers and locktite?

I'd start there. I do not think it would end up being a GX Honda motor issue, but more of a loose or oddly mounted part of the table etc.. If the motor sounds happy and is running smooth when you put your hand on the gas tank, there's probably not much to be done on that thing, but check the motor mounts on it, make sure everything is snug.

I'd run that thing and get down and start holding the table from different areas and see if it dampens that vibration down. Betting you can improve it a lot with some adjusting and tightening.

I'd start there. I do not think it would end up being a GX Honda motor issue, but more of a loose or oddly mounted part of the table etc.. If the motor sounds happy and is running smooth when you put your hand on the gas tank, there's probably not much to be done on that thing, but check the motor mounts on it, make sure everything is snug.

I'd run that thing and get down and start holding the table from different areas and see if it dampens that vibration down. Betting you can improve it a lot with some adjusting and tightening.
Ok, thank you. The motor doesn't seem to shake much when putting hand on it. Will do what you advised

Reactions: JimBear
Disconnect the motor from the flywheel and run it alone. That could help isolate the problem.

You could probably fix that out of square issue with the table by using a few shims (strips of soda can work well for this).

Reactions: Dmitry